10.0.9 - Quota Resetting



Hi all,

A quota I’m setting isn’t sticking.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Set quota
  2. Wait
  3. Profit

Expected behaviour

Tell us what should happen

Quota to stick

Actual behaviour

Tell us what happens instead

Quota resets to 20GB

Server configuration

Operating system:
Debian 8

Web server:


PHP version:

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:

Where did you install ownCloud from:
Debian repo

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):

Login as admin user into your ownCloud and access 
paste the results into https://gist.github.com/ and puth the link here.

No errors have been found.

The content of config/config.php:

Log in to the web-UI with an administrator account and click on
'admin' -> 'Generate Config Report' -> 'Download ownCloud config report'
This report includes the config.php settings, the list of activated apps
and other details in a well sanitized form.


If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ config:list system
from within your ownCloud installation folder

*ATTENTION:* Do not post your config.php file in public as is. Please use one of the above
methods whenever possible. Both, the generated reports from the web-ui and from occ config:list
consistently remove sensitive data. You still may want to review the report before sending.
If done manually then it is critical for your own privacy to dilligently
remove *all* host names, passwords, usernames, salts and other credentials before posting.
You should assume that attackers find such information and will use them against your systems.

See config here: https://pastebin.com/gm58rW3h

List of activated apps:

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ app:list
from within your ownCloud installation folder.


  • activity: 2.3.7
  • comments: 0.3.0
  • configreport: 0.1.1
  • dav: 0.3.2
  • federatedfilesharing: 0.3.1
  • federation: 0.1.0
  • files: 1.5.1
  • files_external: 0.7.1
  • files_pdfviewer: 0.9.0
  • files_sharing: 0.10.1
  • files_texteditor: 2.2.1
  • files_trashbin: 0.9.1
  • files_versions: 1.3.0
  • files_videoplayer: 0.9.8
  • firstrunwizard: 1.1
  • gallery: 16.1.0
  • market: 0.2.4
  • notifications: 0.3.4
  • provisioning_api: 0.5.0
  • systemtags: 0.3.0
  • updatenotification: 0.2.1
  • user_external: 0.4
  • user_ldap: 0.11.0
  • encryption
  • external

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: local/smb/sftp/…

Are you using encryption: yes/no

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: LDAP/ActiveDirectory/Webdav/…


I don’t think you can set quota for LDAP users, as their quota is set by the LDAP.


For almost 2 years I’ve set quotas using the quota tool under Users panel.

I’ve just checked, the quota field in oC LDAP configuration is empty, so the oC settings should stick


I think there was a change with the recent ownCloud version.

Now the LDAP quota field has priority above the ownCloud quota field.


Hi all,

I’ve managed to bodge my way around this. I used MySQL to increase the quota in the table for this user, I then updated the oC GUI to match. So far so good.

Not sure what the problem is, but GUI changes are not sticking.


Did you perform a user sync yet?


Don’t know if still relevant but there are 4 Types of Quota Settings in ownCloud when dealing with LDAP users.

  1. Quota Field

Found in User Authentication -> the Advanced Tab -> Special Attributes

This Setting beats the rest. If this is set, this is what will be set for a LDAP users’s quota in ownCloud

  1. Quota Default

Found in User Authentication -> the Advanced Tab -> Special Attributes

This is the fallback option if no Quota field is defined.

  1. User quota, this is what you set in the web UI drop down menu.

  2. Default Quota

This will be set if no quota is set.

Users Tab -> Gear Wheel, Default Quota.

Now, if you have 1. or 2. set, and try to set Quota via WebUI drop down menu - your setting will be overwritten by 1. or 2. This is what I think is happening in your case.

The solution is to clear 1. and 2, and then your setting will stick.


1 and 2 have never been set. They are blank and have been since installation in 2016.

Anyway, like I said in the post before, updating the value in the DB manually and then in oC worked.