423 file lock issue persisting in 10.0.10

Dear Community,

I have a 423 File Locked issue on my owncloud (10.0.10) and do not know how to resolve it. My capabilities are limited and thus, I haven’t had any success with the solutions offered here so far (I cannot even set it into maintenance mode as this is not an option in the config.php).

I uploaded a +500 MB file through owncloud and after I didn’t need it any more simply deleted it. The browser version now keeps on referring to this file although it is definitely deleted from the server, i.e. it does not exist any more. Nevertheless, I constantly receive messages referring to both the client and browser versions of this file and that it could not deleted (browser) or synced (client).

My cron jobs are running and I have deleted the cache in owncloud many times.
As mentioned, I have limited capabilities and simply don’t know what to do anymore.

Please fill out the post template for server issues, we can’t help you here without it.

File locking should be handled by redis, strongly recommend to set this up. But as you say you are unable to set maintenance modus, I guess you don’t have shell access, probably due to being installed on a shared host. Shared hosts are extremely difficult to maintain due to the restricted environments.

Finally, issues to this error message have been fixed in newer versions of ownCloud. I would strongly recommend to upgrade (can also be close to impossible on shared hosts)…

1 Like

Hi Erik, thanks for the reply and sorry for being such a nuisance! :slight_smile: I don’t know how to set up redis and yes, it is a shared host - which is why I also cannot update as I’d like to (as I understand it, I could only reinstall the whole thing).

I don’t know what I’m suppoed to share and what not. Apart from my lognames and passwords the config.php says that integrity check is disabled. I could share the owncloud log if that doesn’t entail any sensitive data?

Otherwise what would you propose that I do? Are there any other functioning cloud-systems that you would recommend instead?

THANKS!

There are many cloud providers out there that offer simple linux virtual machines with root access.
The cheapest start at just a couple Euros a month for 20GB of disk space.

Redis is an additional service that would have to be installed on the server. I don’t think this is part of a typical shared hosting setup and another reason why shared hosting is not supported by ownCloud.

That would be the minimum, just go through the log and what you think is sensitive replace it.

Yes this is how I imagine it potentially could work:

1. Build a docker environment on your local machine that is similar enough to your shared hosting environment that you can import the current production setup from the shared host.
  2. Run the upgrade in the docker env
  3. Export the updated ownCloud from the docker env and install it on the shared host.

But step 1 would be extremely difficult for someone with not much linux & docker knowledge which is basically anybody that buys shared hosting…
And anybody with enough knowledge knows they can cat a root virtual machine for cheap anyway…

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the advice – looks like I’ll look for something else in the future, as I simply don’t have enough knowledge of this (nor time to aquire it).
Thanks again and all the best!