Access Server from remote via the Android app

Absolutely. All ownCloud settings are in the config.php and the database, have a look in the how to backup docs article for more information on how to backup your installation.

2 Likes

I’d additionally create a database dump, which contains the SQL commands to re-create the database. That way one can recover the database to every database server/system version. As it’s actually a “text” file (no binary), one could even recover single tables and/or meta data and all that:

mysqldump owncloud > /path/to/owncloud_backup.sql

Indeed it’s a bid strange that the official recent ownCloud docs only promte the manual procedure even that there are two simple automated ways available:

1. Use the web UI > Settings > General > Start upgrade (or similar wording).
  2. As on larger instances, a web UI updater always bears the risk to leave you in an unconditional state, when the browser connection gets lost in the middle, especially for larger instances it’s better to do that from server console:
    sudo -u www-data php /var/www/owncloud/updater/application.php

Enter 1 to being.

I can only assume that ownCloud wants to reduce being held responsible for broken instances if anything fails within the automated upgrade methods. Now they can say, “Hey, read the docs where we told you to upgrade manually!” :wink:.

Best, as always, is to contribute this information or raise an issue about on the GitHub repository:

2 Likes

May I ask where is it recommended to store that database dump file? Is it safe to keep it inside DietPi’s OS sd, Oc’s storage or better yet outside on a third party drive?

The reason why they’d promote the complicated upgrade is valid indeed. :slight_smile:

Great stuff once again. Thank you!

I’d keep them on an external drive, i.e. a different drive then where the actual database files are stored. I personally create a dump every night onto the same data drive and sync it, together with all data and some important configs onto a second backup-only drive.

But it depends on your usage. The database does not contain the actual data files, but all meta information like tags, comments, shares and what other apps might add, of course app configs/data (calendar, contacts, …), user profiles etc. If you use ownCloud mostly by yourself to access your data from multiple devices, there is probably not much relevant information and doing a fresh ownCloud install (at least on DietPi quickly done) + copying files inside + occ files:scan --all (or alternatively upload from clients) is all to bring you back online in case of SD card death.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the very helpful info!