App versions not the same in occ and market?

I have owncloud v10.4.0 installed on Debian 9 ( Debian_9.0 owncloud-files-10.4.0-1+1.1)
We had an issue from owncloud v10.3 on where the web interface would lock and ask to update apps after a couple of days following an update.
This would happen again and again when updating the system with occ upgrade, we then realized that 7 apps we have installed were not updated to the same version through occ than through the market update (for example the custom groups app would update to v0.5.0 through occ and v0.6.0 through the market).
Once all apps where updated through the market the issue went away.

Going forward however can anyone let me know if this is an expected behaviour, that the process is to upgrade first through occ and then afterwards through the market to be up to date and avoid owncloud being locked for users until the update is made, or if this is an issue that should be fixed ?

Thanks!

Hey,

during the update of my own installation via occ ownCloud always had pulled new versions of the apps i had installed via the marketplace automatically.

Thanks for the feedback. Any insight on what to look for to check why occ wasnt in sync with the market?

Hey,

from what i know PHP running from within the web server (like the ownCloud GUI is running) is something completely different to running it on command line (what occ is using).

I think the difference could happen if PHP running on the command line can’t access the marketplace (e.g. limitations / restrictions, DNS issues or similar).

I have seen this issue, when there are two app directories configured in the config.php. First the standard app directory in the owncloud folder (e.g: /var/www/owncloud/apps), which contains all the apps shipped in the release and which is set to be only readable. And a second app directory (e.g: /var/www/owncloud/custom), which is set to writable.

What would happen: The ownCloud tarball includes a core app in the first app directory, that has been upgraded in the meantime. The market place sees there is an old app version and installs the new version in custom, because that is the only one that is writeable for it.
Now you have two different versions of an app inside a single ownCloud installation, which is obviously a problem.

Although I haven’t seen this happening at random times, only when updating. Do you by any chance run some market update/install commands automatically?

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight! I did notice something strange with the apps directory.
We have two app directories configured, we added one called apps2 for a custom app, and that one is indeed writeable, while the apps directory isnt (in the config.php file, see below).
What I noticed is that some of the apps where in both directories, so then I checked with occ getpath and they where systematically in the apps2 folder, so I removed (moved to a tmp folder) the duplicate apps from the apps folder and updated the apps from the market and this solved the issue for now.

The question now is can I leave it like that or will this create an issue in the future, like another app update being available in the market, or something else ?
I know how to get it to work now, but any advice on how it should be setup to avoid any issue in the future?
Thanks!

config.php apps config:
“… ‘apps_paths’ =>
array (
0 =>
array (
‘path’ => ‘/var/www/owncloud/apps’,
‘url’ => ‘/apps’,
‘writable’ => false,
),
1 =>
array (
‘path’ => ‘/var/www/owncloud/apps2’,
‘url’ => ‘/apps2’,
‘writable’ => true,
),
),
…”

Does anyone know if I can leave the app folder configuration as is, or should it be consolidated in one read/write folder? Its just to avoid issues in the future, thanks.

I just updated from 10.4.0 to 10.4.1 and it went fine, the core apps updated in /apps and no changes in /apps2, but not sure if it was luck with the last update or if the configuration is fine now!

After some more discussion outside this forum I have decided to open a github issue about this:

I still like the concept of a custom app folder, because it easily shows which apps are being shipped with ownCloud and which have been added to the system.

You have several options how to handle it.

• If you’re not using the marketplace, disable the app occ a:d market
  • Make sure you don’t have automatic updates and just deal with the problem while upgrading until this bug is fixed.
  • Temporarily consolidate the app folders until the bug is fixed
1 Like