Client does not sync file because "the file is currently in use"

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask.

After recent client updates (2.10.1 build 7187, earlier versions also), if I have a, say, a Word file open and I save the Word file, the client will not sync the changes made to the file until I close the file. In the client Activity tab, it says “the file is currently in use”, until I close the file.

This did not happen with previous versions of the client.

Is there a way to disable this, either client-side or server-side?

Thanks.

Server configuration

Operating system: Linux Ubuntu

PHP version: 7.4

ownCloud version: 10.9.1

Storage backend (external storage):

Client configuration

Client version: 2.10.1

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

OS language: English

Installation path of client: Default

I am also facing this issue.
Downloading files from a website using Download Manager. On completion, the files are automatically moved to the OwnCloud folder.
OwnCloud will show the following log

Issues ,File ,Folder ,Size ,Account ,Time ,Status ,
The file _DailyRSS/downloads/MyLogFiles.txt is currently in use

I am wondering if this is a feature in Windows itself, or Office programs? I noticed that OneDrive does this as well - it syncs the changes made to a Word file only after I close the file. This was when I used OneDrive on Windows 10 on another computer not connected to the ownCloud.

Hoping to find a solution for this. Currently it does the same thing to me but not on ALL videos downloaded just some. Seems random since they all come from same source… Seems that if ZIP them it works fine. once I get them to where I am going with them and try on a machine that never had the download program run on it, it still does the same thing and says either in use or blacklisted. (simple file names so nothing with ~'s in them or anything.)

I suppose there isn’t an easy answer to this issue of mine? Bummer. It’s really making it unreliable using ownCloud with many people, since everyone needs to remember to close files for the changes to sync.

Please see https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues/9428.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.