Create Swap File on Ubuntu Server on Rasp Pi 3

Hello, I have an Owncloud server running on Ubuntu Server 16.04 on a Raspberry Pi 3. I've had it up for a few days now and everything for the most part is working very well. I haven't set up any swap area on my server. I have an idea for a set up and I just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not this is a good idea.

So the OS and Owncloud backend is installed on the PI's 32 GB sd card. The owncloud data folder is on a separate usb HDD. I know it's not a good idea to put a swap file onto an sd card, so I want to put one on the same partition as the owncloud/data on the spinning hard disk. I was going to use the fallocate utility to set this up, but this returned an error because the HDD is a fat32 file system and fallocate does not support fat32. So another option, which I'm almost certain will create the swap file, is to run a dd if=dev/zero of=/mnt/sda1/swap.file bs=1M count=3072, and then make that 3GB file into a swap file for the system. The Raspberry Pi 3 has 1GB of memory. I read somewhere else that Owncloud would like to have 3GB of swap to go along with this amount of memory.

I am hesitant to execute this operation because my instance of Owncloud is working "good enough" right now as is. There are times when navigating the web interface that it gets a little laggy though, and I thought maybe some swap could help remedy this.

Does this sound like an okay idea? Is putting the swap file on the same partition as the owncloud/data going to mess anything up? I know that dd can take awhile to do its job. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to make my 3GB swap file?

Thanks

Hi,

system operations like this will never affect a PHP application like ownCloud as long as it doesn't affect the stability or performance of your system.

As creating such a swap file is something which is nothing ownCloud specific and highly depends on your setup and operating system i'm suggesting to jump over to a community like https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/ where you can meet people be able to telling you if this is a good idea.

Thank you! I'll head over and check that out. I appreciate it.