Desktop sync not using rename & move when it could

I wrote this in the Desktop category but got no reaction at all - so trying again here.

For me, and I would expect for most users, this is a critical issue.

If I rename a folder containing 2 GB of files the last thing I want OwnCLoud to do is upload them all again to a new folder and then delete the old folder; when all it has to do is a simple move.

Actually I’ve never seen folder move working, but it least it sometimes creates the new folder and moves all the files from old folder to new (which isn’t too bad). But currently I see it doing way too many upload which are not necessary. And presumably it is repeating the process downloading to all the other synchronized computers.

I anyone else noticing this? Is there any work going on to fix it? DO I have some setting wrong somewhere?

Expected behaviour

In Windows explorer I do any of the following in a synchronized folder…

  • Rename a folder
  • Rename a file
  • Move a file from one directory to another

All of these can be accomplished by a simple move operation.

Actual behaviour

Sometimes a “move” is used
More often files are deleted on the server and re-uploaded.
I see no obvious pattern in how it chooses what method to use.

I thought maybe it depended on file size, but even moving a large (500 MB file) into a sub-folder and later back resulted in a “move” on the sever (Ok) and later a totally unnecessary server “delete/re-upload” on returning to the original folder.

I also tried renaming a folder containing a large number of files amounting to 500 MB.It spent 20 minutes uploading them all, then deleted the ones already on the server.

This is very inefficient and there is no obvious reason for it

Steps to reproduce

  1. Select a file in Windows Explorer
  2. Drag to a sub-folder, observe Sync log and wait until idle
  3. Select same file again and drag and drop back to original place, observe sync log
  4. Repeat or vary file or folder until delete/upload is used

Server configuration

Operating system:Ubuntu 18.04

Web server: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)

Database: mySQL Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.43-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2

PHP Version
(Was PHP version: 7.2.24 but now updated…)

ownCloud version:

Storage backend (external storage): SMB attached drive

Client configuration

Client version: 2.6.0

Operating system:Windows 10

Please do not post duplicate posts.

If you want attention from developers - open an issue in the coresponding git hub repo