Forbidden error when uploading/downloading after moving data directory location from external drive - Ubuntu

Steps to reproduce

1. Migrate data directory from external drive back to local HD
    2.Try to upload/download any file type

Expected behaviour

User should be able to Upload or Download files

Actual behaviour

Forbidden error

Server configuration

Operating system:
Ubuntu 16.04
Web server:
Apache2
Database:
Mysql
PHP version:
ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:
installed fresh
Where did you install ownCloud from:
CLI - owncloud repository
Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):

This returns nothing - 404 error

The content of config/config.php:

{
    "system": {
        "updatechecker": false,
        "instanceid": "oc9v0jduwrsw",
        "passwordsalt": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "secret": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "trusted_domains": [
            "172.0.0.1",
            "xx.xx.xxx.xx",
            "172.20.224.19"
        ],
        "datadirectory": "/var/www/satclouddata/data",
        "overwrite.cli.url": "http://xx.xx.xx.xx/owncloud",
        "dbtype": "mysql",
        "version": "10.0.8.5",
        "dbname": "satcloud",
        "dbhost": "localhost",
        "dbtableprefix": "oc_",
        "dbuser": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "dbpassword": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "logtimezone": "UTC",
        "installed": true,
        "mail_domain": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "mail_from_address": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***",
        "mail_smtpmode": "php",
        "updater.secret": "***REMOVED SENSITIVE VALUE***"
    }
}

List of activated apps:

Are you using external storage, if yes which one:

Are you using encryption: yes/no
no
Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: LDAP/ActiveDirectory/Webdav/…

Client configuration

Browser:
Firefox
Operating system:
Mac OS X

Logs

Web server error log

N/A

ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log)

{"reqId":"09df7c9c-4367-4b62-8fda-325e3db5a50e","level":3,"time":"2018-12-28T04:17:07+00:00","remoteAddr":"172.20.224.55","user":"jsmith","app":"no app in context","method":"GET","url":"\/owncloud\/ocs\/v2.php\/apps\/notifications\/api\/v1\/notifications?format=json","message":"User backend OC\\User\\Database is returning home: \/var\/www\/satclouddata\/data\/jsmith for user: jsmith which differs from existing value: \/mnt\/satcloudmain\/satclouddata\/data\/jsmith"}
{"reqId":"E2yw4TGqUOIxEyaBOoW9","level":3,"time":"2018-12-28T04:20:07+00:00","remoteAddr":"76.94.218.160","user":"satcloudadmin","app":"no app in context","method":"GET","url":"\/owncloud\/ocs\/v2.php\/apps\/notifications\/api\/v1\/notifications?format=json","message":"User backend OC\\User\\Database is returning home: \/var\/www\/satclouddata\/data\/satcloudadmin for user: satcloudadmin which differs from existing value: \/mnt\/satcloudmain\/satclouddata\/data\/satcloudadmin"}
{"reqId":"c8abfddb-fa45-4f8d-83cd-7039ecd529a3","level":3,"time":"2018-12-28T04:20:07+00:00","remoteAddr":"50.239.2.142","user":"securityservers","app":"no app in context","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/owncloud\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/securityservers\/","message":"User backend OC\\User\\Database is returning home: \/var\/www\/satclouddata\/data\/securityservers for user: securityservers which differs from existing value: \/mnt\/satcloudmain\/satclouddata\/data\/securityservers"}
{"reqId":"2b8f6c30-33ac-4025-9d9c-8336651a9818","level":3,"time":"2018-12-28T04:20:13+00:00","remoteAddr":"73.169.205.27","user":"lbooth@xxx.com","app":"no app in context","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/owncloud\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/lbooth@xxx.com\/","message":"User backend OC\\User\\Database is returning home: \/var\/www\/satclouddata\/data\/lbooth@xxx.com for user: lbooth@xxx.com which differs from existing value: \/mnt\/satcloudmain\/satclouddata\/data\/lbooth@xxx.com"}
{"reqId":"7a748e59-bee6-44ac-a6b3-152e7022690a","level":3,"time":"2018-12-28T04:21:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"76.94.218.160","user":"jsmith","app":"no app in context","method":"PROPFIND","url":"\/owncloud\/remote.php\/dav\/files\/jsmith\/","message":"User backend OC\\User\\Database is returning home: \/var\/www\/satclouddata\/data\/jsmith for user: jsmith which differs from existing value: \/mnt\/satcloudmain\/satclouddata\/data\/jsmith"}

Browser log

N/A

It looks like the database tables are trying to connect everything to the old drives that aren’t there any longer. How do I tell OwnCloud to use the config.php data location globally for all of the users?

Hey,

from what i know just updating the config.php isn’t enough:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/administration_manual/maintenance/manually-moving-data-folders.html

Thanks for this info @tom42 !

I do however find it puzzling that I didn’t have to do this with OC 9 when I originally moved the data folder to an external array. I literally just stopped the webserver, updated the config.php file, and started the webserver again. I wonder why now I have to jump through all these hoops to move the directory back to the same drive that OC is running on.

Either way, thanks for the help. Looks like I’ll be digging in to the tables (something I dislike doing…) today in hopes I can repair this.

I’ll update with the outcome.

Thanks for your time!!

Hey,

i did some research and it seems this is required since many years:

Not sure why it wasn’t required with OC9 on your installation. :slightly_frowning_face: