Has support for RHEL + clones been removed?

Historically I have run CentOS 7, then CentOS 8 and now Alma 8, currently “AlmaLinux release 8.5 (Arctic Sphynx)”. I installed OwnCloud server to provide service to a small domestic cloud. Currently there are four VM’s of various Linux flavours, one CentOS7 workstation (due to be upgraded to Alma 8) and three Windows 10 laptops all running the client software.

Server:
Kernel: 4.18.0-348.12.2.el8_5.x86_64
Shell: bash 4.4.20
CPU: Intel i3-4150 (4) @ 3.500GHz
GPU: Intel 4th Generation Core Processor Family
Memory: 9691MiB / 15894MiB

Updater

Your version is up to date.

System Status

installed 1
needsDbUpgrade
version 10.8.0.4
versionstring 10.8.0
edition Community
productname ownCloud

I also have a problem with the client software. It tells me to update it, which works nicely on the C7 machine, but fails on the A8 machine.

owncloudcmd --version

ownCloud 2.9.2 (build 6206) Nov 24 2021 09:30:07
/owncloud/client/commit/d64e75ec959230303808132a7e43ef7987a55ea5
Libraries Qt 5.12.10, OpenSSL 1.1.1k FIPS 25 Mar 2021
Using virtual files plugin: off

Looking at the website it appears that all support for CentOS has been sent to the attic or withdrawn. See 10.8.0 | attic.owncloud.org (and linux | download.owncloud.com)

Are there any plans for a RHEL, Alma or Rocky version?

Can you please provide an error message of the occ upgrade command?

I guess, you potentially just have the wrong PHP version installed. I think RHEL 8 clones set up PHP7.2 by default which is no longer supported:

dnf list installed | grep php 
# ^ check for incorrect version PHP 7.2

# Only do this if you know and understand what this does.
# If there are other web applications dependend on PHP on the server
# and incompatible with PHP 7.4 they WILL break 

dnf module reset php
dnf module enable php:7.4

# The upgrade command installed the correct versions for me
# but I don't know if this is the recommended process to switch appstream versions 
# Perhaps check official documentation as well
dnf upgrade

dnf list installed | grep php 
# ^ check for updated version PHP 7.4

RHEL 8 is supported and works, with the correct PHP version installed.

For problems with the ownCloud client, please open a separate topic in the Desktop category.

Thanks for getting back to me. The commands you asked for:

$ ./occ upgrade
ownCloud is already latest version
$ dnf list installed | grep php
php.x86_64 7.2.24-1.module_el8.3.0+2010+7c76a223 @appstream

So PHP would be an issue. I don’t normally use the occ upgrade route, just dnf update which is why I went looking at the repo. I see that the C7 has modification dates into this year, but C8 has not been modified since last year. This would seem to support your guess that you are awaiting RHEL (and clones) updating their PHP.

Incidentally, I am somewhat confused still though: …stable/latest/linux shows CentOS, Debian, Fedora, openSuSE and Ubuntu but no RHEL.

I suspect therefore that I’ll simply stay on 10.8.0 untill Alma 9 comes out and I update the underlying OS.

Thanks for your help.

Remember that OS Package repositories on download.owncloud.com/attic.owncloud.com are not maintained anymore and were moved to the public openSUSE Build Service Install package isv:ownCloud:server:10.9.0 / owncloud-complete-files

1 Like

Depending on what PHP version Alma 9 will ship, you might have to wait for ownCloud to support PHP version 8+, before you can migrate to it.

That’s why people use docker containers. There the application ships its required environment and you don’t have to manage all these dependencies.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.