How do i decrypt files for a certain user with the master-decryption-key

Ubuntu 16.04
Apache
Mysql
PHP 7.1
OwnCloud 10.0.10
Are you using encryption: yes

Hi i need to start a serie of updates but just before i begin a user has forgotten his password and cannot access his files now.
We have set a masterpassword for decryption.

It is too long ago that i decrypted files for a user and i cannot find it at the moment.

Could someone give me a hint on how to do that please?

Regards,
Jan

Hello,

I think you can follow this guide, it should help you.
Cheers.

1 Like

Hi cs35

thank you, but the problem is that this is the manual for a newer version.

As it did not look like in the Link, i have made an extra user to test and was able to reproduce the problem.

So if anyone happens to remember how to decrypt files with a masterkey in version 10.0.10 then i would very obliged.

I do want to solve this first before i start doing a series of updates.

Regards,
Jan

Hi,

what’s the problem you are referring to ? I might be wrong, but so far, I can’t remember a big difference in decryption commands between ownCloud 10.0 and the current one.
Maybe have a look in this ownCloud 10.0 manual
Cheers.

Hi

we decided that it is better to decrypt all files.

I put owncloud in maintenance mode and ran encryption:decrypt all

I got the following with all files:
module with id: OC_DEFAULT_MODULE does not exist

Probably because i did not used single user mode?

Running decrypt again did not work (nothing to do) - when i open a txt-file it is clearly still encrypted.

Is there a way to decrypt from this point or must i restore the backup and start again?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,
Jan

This seems related to Decrypt all files with recovery key so you probably have user-key-based encryption in place and your question is about decrypting all users’ files using the global recover-key password. In this case, please check the suggestion in the linked topic.

About module with id: OC_DEFAULT_MODULE does not exist this is likely because you already tried to unsuccessfully decrypt the files so you may need at this point to re-enable the module by running occ encryption:enable

Thank you pako81,

I have first moved the complete install to another server where i have enough space to make extra backups. The situation before the problem with 2 users that forgot there passwords is restored.

I found in the tables that one of this users was created without marking that the global recover-key should be used.

I hope that updating to newer versions will make the chance on recovering the files to an unencryted version will be better after several updates.

I have now 5 copies of a complete 37 Gb install and had to reserve one whole server to get the install uptodate and solve the problems. I offered this for little money as a service but it grew to an install with over 100 users, they have to be patient and i have to be carefull.

Regards,
Jan

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear. Please note that user-key encryption is deprecated since it comes with several limitations and you should rather use masterkey encryption.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.