OC 10.0.7 /data/user/uploads directory

I am running OC 10.0.7 on a Debian system.

Whilst looking at what is using sizeable chunks of storage, I found a directory I have not been able to find any information on.

The directory is /data/user/uploads and is using 6.3G of storage. Inside the directory are two subdirectories identified by nine digit numbers, such as 213975227, one is 2.8G while he other is 3.8G. Each file has a discrete datestamp such as Jun 15 10:36.

Inside these directories are a number of files identified by eight digit numbers, starting at 00000000.

These files do not appear in the browser-based interface to OC, nor in any of the clients I use.

My questions are:

1. What are these files? And
  2. Can they be deleted to recover storage?

I’ve never seen such a directory, but it might be from an app.

How are the timestamps of those files? Old, newer?

Thank you for your quick reply.

One date was Jul 12 00:31, the other was today - Sep 13 11:27.

I’ve done nothing I know of to generate today’s file.

I have the following apps installed:

Admin Config Report
Deleted Files
Federation
Provisioning API
Share Files
Update Notification
Versions
Collaborative Tags
Comments
First Run Wizard
Mail Template Editor
Market
Notifications
Video Player

I’m grateful for any help.

First I would run something like this, possibly as owner or root:

find data/user -type f -mtime -90

You’ll have to adjust the path according your system. This list all files with a modification time within the past 90 days.

1 Like

Hi Alfredb.

Thank you for your thoughts. I tried the suggestion above, and it confirmed these directories were recent additions.

I have deleted the two directories in the ‘uploads’ directory, and recovered almost 50% of my storage.

I guess I’ll find out in the very near future whether this has caused me any problems.

Thank you again for your help.

OK, immediate deleting is also an option. :wink:

I such situations, I prefer to move the content in question into a tarball. With this, I’m able to restore quickly, in case somebody misses the removed content. After a period of time it’s safe for the final delete.