OwnCloud desktop app on Win10 doesn't sync anymore


#1

Expected behaviour

Sync

Actual behaviour

Doesn’t sync.

Steps to reproduce

  1. Open desktop app on Win10

----------------------------

OwnCloud desktop app doesn’t sync anymore

I have 3 devices synced to the OwnCloud server.

2 Win10

1 iPhone

The current setup is unchanged for about a year.

Now, one Win10 client, doesn’t sync to the OC server any more. I can access the OC server through browser and do there everything as before, but Win10 desktop app doesn’t sysc.

The other Win10 and iPhone app sync files to the OC server normally – also I can connect to OC server through browser on these devices.

All 3 devices and OC server are on same network on LAN.

OC server is also open to the internet and I can connect to it through browser from the internet.

Desktop app on Win10 that doesn’t work anymore 2.5.2 (build 11181).

On Win10 that still works is 2.5.1 (build 10807)

The apps hasn’t been updated recently.

I haven’t done any changed to anything in my OC universe.

The error I get on broken Win10 desktop app

“the time limit has expired” (the untranslated Povezava je časovno potekla.).

The last successful sync was one day ago.

When I tried today do download the latest Win desktop app https://owncloud.org/download/#owncloud-desktop-client-windows

I’ve got

Error 404: Not found :frowning:

I have no idea where that file is, sorry. Are you sure you typed in the correct URL?

What do I have to do to restore sync? (yes I’ve rebooted everything)

Logs

03-16 20:23:37:709 [ info gui.folder ]: Trying to check "https://192.168.1.121/remote.php/dav/files/Bob/" for changes via ETag check. (time since last sync: 1566 s)

03-16 20:23:37:710 [ info sync.accessmanager ]: 6 "PROPFIND" "https://192.168.1.121/remote.php/dav/files/Bob/" has X-Request-ID "570a1ef6-b152-43d9-bb13-7e65963e7855"

03-16 20:23:37:711 [ info sync.networkjob ]: OCC::RequestEtagJob created for "https://192.168.1.121" + "/" "OCC::Folder"

03-16 20:23:37:769 [ info gui.account.manager ]: Saving account "https://192.168.1.121"

03-16 20:23:37:770 [ info gui.account.manager ]: Saving 2 unknown certs.

03-16 20:23:37:770 [ info gui.account.manager ]: Saving cookies. "C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Local/ownCloud/cookies0.db"

03-16 20:23:37:771 [ warning default ]: QIODevice::write (QFile, "C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\ownCloud\cookies0.db"): device not open

03-16 20:23:37:809 [ info gui.account.manager ]: Saved account settings, status: QSettings::Status(NoError)

03-16 20:23:37:809 [ info sync.account ]: "SSL-Errors happened for url "https://192.168.1.121/remote.php/dav/files/Bob/" \tError in QSslCertificate("3", "fa:7e:87:97:4e:7c:44:51:98:08:97:6d:38:f8:6f:b9:d0:3d", "JfbwJnGQvlvq8W17Hd4bpA==", (), (), QMap((1, "nc.cdeaj.si")), QDateTime(2018-04-30 20:13:47.000 UTC Qt::TimeSpec(UTC)), QDateTime(2018-07-29 20:13:47.000 UTC Qt::TimeSpec(UTC))) : "Ime gostitelja se ne ujema z nobenim izmed veljavnih gostiteljev za to potrdilo" ( "Ime gostitelja se ne ujema z nobenim izmed veljavnih gostiteljev za to potrdilo" ) \n \tError in QSslCertificate("3", "8b:e1:2a:0e:59:44:ed:3c:54:64:31:f0:97:61:4f:e5", "Xt5G+EMmFuV3cVeIzIFQLw==", (), (), QMap(), QDateTime(2016-05-23 22:07:59.000 UTC Qt::TimeSpec(UTC)), QDateTime(2036-05-23 22:07:59.000 UTC Qt::TimeSpec(UTC))) : "Potrdila izdajatelja za krajevno najdeno potrdilo ni bilo moč najti" ( "Potrdila izdajatelja za krajevno najdeno potrdilo ni bilo moč najti" ) \n \tError in QSslCertificate("3", "fa:7e:87:97:4e:7c:44:51:98:08:97:6d:38:f8:6f:b9:d0:3d", "JfbwJnGQvlvq8W17Hd4bpA==", (), (), QMap((1, "nc.cdeaj.si")), QDateTime(2018-04-30 20:13:47.000 UTC Qt::TimeSpec(UTC)), QDateTime(2018-07-29 20:13:47.000 UTC Qt::TimeSpec(UTC))) : "Potrdilo je preteklo" ( "Potrdilo je preteklo" ) \n " Certs are known and trusted! This is not an actual error.

03-16 20:23:37:928 [ info sync.networkjob.etag ]: Request Etag of QUrl("https://192.168.1.121/remote.php/dav/files/Bob/") FINISHED WITH STATUS "OK"


#2

Had the same issue. For me, removing the directory pair and adding it again solved the problem (the first tab in client settings).