ownCloud Update 10.8 > 10.9 not triggered / not working

ownCloud 10.8.0.4 runs in a docker container, update channel = stable.
in all versions before i got an indication that a new version is available, BUT NOT NOW.
the updater says that the latest version is installed.
what needs to be triggered, that the updater recognizes a new available version?

thanks for reply

Apparently it’s due to the PHP version you have installed. See this thread

thanks for your reply

i checked, my installed php version is 7.2.13.
is that outdated? hmm … this means i have to do update php by myself (manually)!?

I’m on PHP 7.2.24-1 as I said on the other thread. There is a suggestion that if you want to start playing with Docker that is an option.

The user is already using docker.

What ownCloud image are you using?

The correct way to upgrade an ownCloud running in an official ownCloud docker container is to swap out the whole application container.

E.g if you have docker-compose.yml like so:

[...]
services:
  owncloud:
    image: owncloud/server:${OWNCLOUD_VERSION}
[...]

And the corresponding .env file:

OWNCLOUD_VERSION=10.8.0
[...]

Then you edit the .env file like so

OWNCLOUD_VERSION=10.9.1
[...]

And you run docker-compose pull and then docker-compose up -d to update it.

You should NEVER click the updater button within ownCloud, it should actually be disabled, because a properly built and configured container would lose any of the application changes on a restart.

Thanks eneubauer, since I wasn’t running docker myself I couldn’t help beyond the original diagnosis.

1 Like

@eneubauer @JMartinR thanks for your support

@eneubauer:
my owncloud docker instance was previously deployed by “docker pull owncloud”, which used a pretty old version of 10.0.10. i updated this old version by “update” with the webfrontend, which worked until 10.9. now i’m stuck as the php version is too old.
i understand that “docker pull owncloud” is now outdated and it should be “docker pull owncloud/server”.

my question is: should i update with docker-comose.yml or can i still use the “docker pull owncloud/server” !?
what is the difference and/or what is the recommended way for the future?

thanks

Unfortunately these old containers were before my time I wasn’t even aware until you mentioned it, that it was ever different from the current way.

I can only say, that you need a test system were you can try out an upgrade process. I won’t have time to try figure that out. I don’t even know whether I would still be able to try, as I don’t know where to get that container.

But some pointers what you should look out for:

• volumes and their mountpoints might be different between container images
  • make sure you have a backup and you know how to restore it

If you have specific error messages when testing your upgrade please don’t hesitate to post here for help.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.