Ownloud using the double of the file size?

I am using owncloud server 9.1 on Ubuntu server 14.04.3 LTS.
Today I started getting the message "your storage is almost full (97%)."

I checked the size of the folders I am synchronizing through owncloud and they add up to around 17 GB which is consistent with the "in use" memory shown by the owncloud client.

However on my server, the owncloud folder is taking up 35 GB, which is almost twice the expected space and pretty much all I have.

A couple more details below:

Server configuration
Operating system: Ubuntu server 14.04.3 LTS.
Web server: Apache 2
Database: 5.5.52-MariaDB-1ubuntu0.14.04.1
PHP version: PHP 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.20
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 9.1

As an additional note, I have the file encryption addon enabled. I understand it is meant to cause a larger disk usage but I hope it's not doubling the file sizes.

Thanks

Hi,

quoting from the encryption docs:

Encrypting files increases their size by roughly 35%, so you must take this into account when you are provisioning storage and setting storage quotas.

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_files/encryption_configuration.html

Adding a few versions of files and possible files in the trashbin you will get something like the seen usage.

Ah, concerning the encryption app see also this shiny new FAQ as i assume that you're not using external storages (based on your post):

I think you got me. I thought that encryption would also provide a good level of peace of mind in case the server itself is compromised which doesn't seem to be the case.
Also, this plus some deleted files and versioning seems indeed to be the cause of the "abnormal" disk usage.

I will look for or start another discussion reg securing the files from server breaches, I think that many owncloud users rely on personal/small business servers that may not be as secure as corporate solutions so this would be a big plus.

Thanks!