Unable to update to 10.4.1

Hello all,

I am new to the owncloud and followed the pimylifeup.com article on creating your own cloud using owncloud. And if the tutorial it had me install version 10.2.1 but when I get into the web interface it tells me I need to update. So when I tried to by turning on maintenance mode from /var/www/owncloud I get this error. This version of ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.3, You are currently running PHP 7.3.14~deb10u1. So if the version of ownCloud I have installed doesn’t work with the version of PHP I got how do I update to 10.4.1? Any help would be much appreciated.

I got the same challenge updating PHP7.0 with the OCUpdate to 10.4.0 on raspbian. I also got PHP7.3 not running, but maybe I did something wrong. In my case I moved back to PHP 7.2 but need to compile the PHP memcache modules from source.

1 Like

7.3 works fine for me on 10.4

libapache2-mod-php7.3                 7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (Apache 2 module)
ii  php                                   2:7.3+69                               all          server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (default)
ii  php-apcu                              5.1.17+4.0.11-1                        armhf        APC User Cache for PHP
ii  php-apcu-bc                           1.0.4-4                                armhf        APCu Backwards Compatibility Module
ii  php-common                            2:69                                   all          Common files for PHP packages
ii  php-curl                              2:7.3+69                               all          CURL module for PHP [default]
ii  php-fpm                               2:7.3+69                               all          server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (FPM-CGI binary) (default)
ii  php-gd                                2:7.3+69                               all          GD module for PHP [default]
ii  php-igbinary                          3.0.0-1                                armhf        igbinary PHP serializer
ii  php-intl                              2:7.3+69                               all          Internationalisation module for PHP [default]
ii  php-mbstring                          2:7.3+69                               all          MBSTRING module for PHP [default]
ii  php-memcached                         3.1.3+2.2.0-1                          armhf        memcached extension module for PHP, uses libmemcached
ii  php-msgpack                           2.0.3-1                                armhf        PHP extension for interfacing with MessagePack
ii  php-mysql                             2:7.3+69                               all          MySQL module for PHP [default]
ii  php-redis                             4.2.0-1                                armhf        PHP extension for interfacing with Redis
ii  php-zip                               2:7.3+69                               all          Zip module for PHP [default]
ii  php7.3                                7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       all          server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (metapackage)
ii  php7.3-cgi                            7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (CGI binary)
ii  php7.3-cli                            7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        command-line interpreter for the PHP scripting language
ii  php7.3-common                         7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        documentation, examples and common module for PHP
ii  php7.3-curl                           7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        CURL module for PHP
ii  php7.3-fpm                            7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (FPM-CGI binary)
ii  php7.3-gd                             7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        GD module for PHP
ii  php7.3-intl                           7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        Internationalisation module for PHP
ii  php7.3-json                           7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        JSON module for PHP
ii  php7.3-mbstring                       7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        MBSTRING module for PHP
ii  php7.3-mysql                          7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        MySQL module for PHP
ii  php7.3-opcache                        7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        Zend OpCache module for PHP
ii  php7.3-phpdbg                         7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (PHPDBG binary)
ii  php7.3-readline                       7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        readline module for PHP
ii  php7.3-xml                            7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        DOM, SimpleXML, WDDX, XML, and XSL module for PHP
ii  php7.3-zip                            7.3.14-1~deb10u1                       armhf        Zip module for PH

10.4.x should work fine with PHP 7.2 and 7.3. PHP 7.1 is still supported, but will be deprecated next.

1 Like

I currently am using 10.2.1 because thats what the tutorial had me use. Am I stuck just re-imaging my sd card and starting over?

For these kind of questions the answer lies in the release notes:
https://doc.owncloud.com/server/admin_manual/release_notes.html#changes-in-10-3-0

As you see version 10.3.0 only started supporting PHP version 7.3. You should be able to update to version 10.3 before updating your PHP version and you should be fine, no reinstall/reimaging necessary.

1 Like