Upgrade from 10.3 to 10.9.1 failed

Hi!

I’m running 10.3.2 in a docker container.

I’d like to upgrade to 10.9.1 I’ve been searching around for migration path to see if I need to upgrade to older versions of 10.x before upgrading to 10.9.

Can I upgrade directly from 10.3.2 to 10.9.1 ?

Thanks,

Bobby

Hi rdkcloud,

Yes. Unlike 9.x (and below) you may upgrade any 10.x.y to any later 10.x.y - see How to Upgrade Your ownCloud Server :: ownCloud Documentation

Be sure to follow the docker upgrade docs - Installing with Docker :: ownCloud Documentation - and consider having backups before you start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!

Thank you.

I’ve docker pulled the new owncloud/server image.

I’ve instantiated a new docker container and then jump into it to run the database upgrade script.
I get an error that says:

Your Data directory is invalid
Please check that the data directory contains a file “.ocdata” in its root.

There is a .ocdata file in the data directory. Know how to fix this?
Thanks,
Bobby

Hi!

Here are permissions. Tracing through php code, I’m wondering if the config.php file is not being read. Don’t know how to check.

Bobby

root@5648fbaedc0c: /var/www/owncloud # ls -l /var/www/owncloud/
total 540
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data root 8859 Jan 12 14:29 AUTHORS
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data root 411639 Jan 12 14:29 CHANGELOG.md
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data root 34520 Jan 12 14:29 COPYING
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data root 2425 Jan 12 14:29 README.md
drwxrwxrwx 1 www-data root 4096 Jan 12 14:29 apps
lrwxrwxrwx 1 www-data www-data 16 Apr 27 18:37 config → /mnt/data/config

root@5648fbaedc0c: /var/www/owncloud # ls -l /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php
-rw-r----- 1 www-data root 1762 Apr 27 21:02 /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php

root@5648fbaedc0c: /var/www/owncloud # ls -laht /mnt/data/files/.ocdata
-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 0 Apr 27 18:37 /mnt/data/files/.ocdata

From config.php:
‘datadirectory’ => ‘/mnt/data/files’,

I guess your data mount is not correct - but I can only guess since you did not provide any configs/logs.

Double check the lines
volumes:
- files:/mnt/data
in comparison with your original docker-compose.yml. The string files above should be replaced with your actual directory.

NB: files is misleading in this context, see this post Docker-compose local directory mappings are ignored, docker volumes are used instead - #2 by rkaussow, explaining the directory structure, as a reference.

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I think somewhere between 10.3.2 and 10.9.1, the OC code changed so that it won’t following symlinks when searching for config file.

In my previous container, I symlinked the config directory to my external volume that was mapped to /mnt/data. I did that so I could update the config (took a while to get proxy stuff to work) and more easily back up my OC configs.

I removed the symlink in my container and replaced it with directory and config.php and OC worked.

Also, occ upgrade script seems to have been run as part of initial container creation. That implies that that branch of code properly read my config file to get the DB parameters to run.

What OC logs are you referring to? I looked at $dataDirectory/owncloud.log and did not really see much to use for debugging.

The giveaway should have been that when I edited my symlinked directory config.php to increase debuglevel in logs, nothing ever changed.

Bobby

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.