Upload to special folder not renamed (.PART) with 10.2, but it is working with 10.0.10!

Hi, we have a folder with special permissions (on a Windows 2016 server) for the students that they can upload a file but cannot rename it once uploaded. So they drop of the file to the teacher folder and only the teacher can see it.

It was always working thru owncloud, but since I upgraded the server to 10.2 it stopped working.
The file is there but with a “.PART” extension, if I rename the file it is ok.

I restore the owncloud 10.0.10 and it is working.

It seem that the new version of owncloud (or the new php 7.2) changed the way it upload the files? Upload a .PART first then rename the files? And since the student cannot rename the file it stay has .PART?

It is working for all other folders but not this one.

The permissions on the folder are:
Applies to: This folder and subfolders
Traverse folder
List folder
Read Attributes
Read Extended Attributes
Create Files
Create folders
Read persmissions

Does someone has an idea what changed?
thank you
Eric.

Yes. The file is uploaded in chunks of 10 MB by default (?) and then reassembled and renamed.

You can try to disable chunked uploads. There is some info about how to do it in Disabling chunked file uploads
I expect the file to be uploaded directly, so there shouldn’t be a problem with the rename.

Does that mean you upgraded to PHP 7.2 with the new ownCloud ugprade? Which version did you upgrade from?
When you ‘downgrade’ ownCloud, do you also use the old PHP version again?
Are there any differences in the PHP configurations between the different PHP versions (make sure to check the right PHP configuration files, eg. /etc/php/7.2/apache/...)?

I already disabled chunked files, but it doesn’t work, it still downloading a .PART directly to the smb share (instead of a tmp).

I’ve updated Ubuntu to 19, maybe this is the problem I saw that owncloud support 18.
I didn’t downgrade owncloud, I just restored the VM. The PHP file is the same has before.

Anyway I will wait for a more recent appliance and change it then.

As far as I know the PHP version between Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04 is the same: 7.2
So I think in this case we can rule out that it has anything to do wtih a PHP version upgrade.

So I assume your students use ownCloud to upload a file to this special folder, which is in fact an external storage with special permissions on NTFS which only allows creation but no modification.

I’m not sure how, if chunking is enabled, ownCloud puts the file back together. Does it put together a ‘.PART’-file which is then renamed or does put together to the file with the right file name straight away?
If the latter is the case I would assume you already have chunking disabled, so it would be worth trying to enable it again (if you can).

Otherwise I noticed in the release notes of the current ownCloud version 10.2.0 it says something about more granular permissions and a ‘File drop’ permission for guests on public links. Perhaps that would be an alternative way of implementing your workflow?

1 Like

Hi, I tested a new upgrade of ownCloud (without updating Ubuntu) and I still have this problem.
I mounted the share on the console of the server with the same user and it is working.

I guess the new version of ownCloud don’t use the tmp folder to upload anymore? It just upload directly to the share folder, with a .PART, then (want to) rename the file which the user don’t have the permission of doing. So the file stay with the .PART extension.
Even a 10Kb file do this.

So nobody use this kind of “drop” folder for students??

I have a folder for each teachers (around 500) and the students groups has the special permission to their teachers folders.

Because of this I cannot upgrade. :frowning:

I think we’re missing some information here. Can you answer the following questions one by one:

1. How do you connect your external storage with ownCloud?
  2. What is your actual workflow (where do your students upload via the share directly or through ownCloud, if through ownCloud how is the share configured)?
  3. Which version (OS/PHP/ownCloud) worked?
  4. What do you upgrade?
  5. How do you upgrade?
  6. Why is ‘File Drop’ not an option for you?
  7. Can you provide a config report?
1 Like
  1. It’s a SMB/CIFS share with user/password (I have other shares which work)

2. The share is on the Windows 2016 server, inside the school they connect directly to server. ownCloud is only used outside (home).

3. Ubuntu 16.04.5 LST, PHP 7.0.32-0ubuntu0.16.04.1, ownCloud 10.0.10

4. Only ownCloud

5. I followed the upgrade guide (https://doc.owncloud.com/server/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html)

6. What I understand, “File Drop” only work with local folder, I cannot recreate the 500 folders and 1200 groups associated and then having 2 structures.

7. What is a config report?

Hi,
A configreport is functionality in the WebUI and the CLI to generate a JSON file of all the ownCloud settings.
You can find how to generate one in our documentation:
https://doc.owncloud.com/server/admin_manual/troubleshooting/providing_logs_and_config_files.html#generate-a-config-report

I guess the SMB storage is set up with a user that doesn’t have modify permissions on Windows filesystem level?
The mind boggling thing here is that it stops working with an upgrade, so something would have to change regarding the file upload handling to external storage between the ownCloud versions.

Would you perhaps able to provide a config report for both the working ownCloud setup and the one where it stops working?

Do you see any errors in the owncloud.log file at the end of the upload, that could be helpful?

I would recommend to set up a test instance with the new version where you can reproduce the error.

1 Like