Virtual file sync: CfCreatePlaceholders error

Hi team,

I’ve just set up the latest ownCloud client on a brand new PC (Windows 11 Pro), and this time allowed ownCloud to use the default choice of the virtual file system.

It appeared to be going OK for a few days, downloading files as they are accessed, but I’ve just started noticing two critical sync errors in the activity log as below, where [FILENAME] is the file path in question:

CfCreatePlaceholders error WindowsError: -7ff8ff49: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. : WindowsError: -7ff8ff49: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. for [FILENAME] (skipped due to earlier error, trying again in 22 second(s))

The files it’s referring to are files which have been previously opened, forcing a download, then subsequently modified on another machine, and it is failing to download the update.

I’m not finding anything particularly helpful when googling this.

Has anybody seen anything similar?

Client version info:
ownCloud 5.2.1.13040 979bb9
Libraries Qt 6.4.3, OpenSSL 3.1.2 1 Aug 2023
Using virtual files plugin: wincfapi
QPA: windows

Many thanks!

Hello,

The error you’re encountering with the ownCloud client, where it states Cannot create a file when that file already exists, suggests that there is a conflict with the placeholder files created by the virtual file system. This can happen if the file has been modified elsewhere and the local system is trying to download and sync the updated file but encounters the existing placeholder.

Here are a few steps you might consider to resolve this issue:

Restart the ownCloud Client: Sometimes, simply restarting the client can resolve temporary sync issues.

Clear the Cache: If the problem persists, try clearing the cache of the ownCloud client.

Check for Updates: Ensure that your ownCloud client is up to date, as updates often include bug fixes for sync issues.

Manual Sync: Try manually syncing the files that are causing issues. This can sometimes bypass the error and update the files accordingly.

Check File Permissions: Make sure that the file permissions on both the local system and the server are set correctly and that there are no conflicts.

Consult ownCloud Forums: The ownCloud community forums can be a great resource. There might be others who have encountered the same issue and found a solution.

I hope the information may helps you.

Best regards,
Yvonne Rhodes

Many thanks for the suggestions Yvonne,

Unfortunately still completely stuck on this.

Restart the ownCloud Client: Sometimes, simply restarting the client can resolve temporary sync issues.

Restarting the client or entire PC makes no difference.

Clear the Cache: If the problem persists, try clearing the cache of the ownCloud client.

I’m not clear what cache you’re referring to or how to do this? Searching for “clear owncloud client cache” doesn’t appear to return anything relevant?

Check for Updates: Ensure that your ownCloud client is up to date, as updates often include bug fixes for sync issues.

The client and servers are all on the latest versions. (I see the same issue with accounts from two separate servers with this client).

Manual Sync: Try manually syncing the files that are causing issues. This can sometimes bypass the error and update the files accordingly.

This has no effect - the same error occurs.

Check File Permissions: Make sure that the file permissions on both the local system and the server are set correctly and that there are no conflicts.

No permissions have been changed from defaults on the client. The server was set up as per the installation guide. There are no ownCloud conflict files visible.

Consult ownCloud Forums: The ownCloud community forums can be a great resource. There might be others who have encountered the same issue and found a solution.

Indeed - but I find no results searching for this error message. Google returns only 3 hits for this error message, none related. This might suggest I’m alone in having this problem, and yet for me, Virtual File Sync is completely broken out of the box, with the latest ownCloud client and server versions, on what is basically a new Windows 11 PC.

I’ve enabled logging on the client and have tried to find any clues in there, but the log file rapidly fills up with an enormous amount of chatter yet seems to have no reference to the files causing the error.

Thanks,
Richard.

I am pretty sure that account was just a ChatGPT hit and run sock puppet. It joined the forum immediately before it replied to you and used a recognizable output format favored by AI. I’m sorry it wasted your time.

I don’t use the VFS or Windows, so I can’t offer you any suggestions for your problem.

Hopefully a human that is more familiar with your environment will see this topic and offer more useful guidance.

1 Like