Android (grapheneOS) "Download failed"

I have installed ownCloud on a remote virtual linux machine and can access it (store, download/view) files on my Apple laptop OK. The server and basic functions seem fine.

My problem is with my android (grapheneOS) Pixel 6 Pro. I can upload files manually, upload from camera is configured and working, and I can “download” (view) image files. However I am unable to download text files on my android phone.

In the ownCloud android app, I can see the files (and a thumbnail image of the contents) but if I touch it, it shows the fiel name, Type: PLAIN files, size, etc. Then I get a “Download failed” at the bottom of the screen.

Using the File manager, I can browse to the ownCloud “folder”, but no app I select can view the files. When I use the Vanadium browser, it attempts to open URL

content://org.owncloud.documents/37

but it hangs and displays nothing.

If I select it on my apple laptop, the file downloads and displays as expected.

I’m baffled. Any hints?

You should see errors for the GET requests for this file in the app debug logs

1 Like

Still the same problem, and I cannot see the ownCloud logs either (Settings → Logging).

Edit: I restarted apache on the server, and via the laptop deleted all text files. I then dragged text files back into ownCloud. I verified that I could read file contents, clicking the file from the ownCloud browser page.

I uninstalled ownCloud app on Pixel, reinstalled from fdroid, logged in again. I see the list of files newly created. Touching a file (“to do.txt”) shows an icon, Type: PLAIN file, size 247 B, modified date, location / and generates “download failed”.

In Settings → logging (having previously enabled logging and HTTP logging) I see the log file, 164KB (seems large), I touch the log file but unfortunately get “No app found for file type”, so there’s no internal viewer? And app::filetype mapping went out with Android11.

Though the ownCloud app logs in OK (name, password) when I log into ownCloud in firefox, upon entering name/password returns to name/password entry. Because there’s no “show password” option I typed the password into Markor and pasted it in, so I’m sure its correct.

Is this a GrapheneOS vs Google Android thing?

Hi @tomjennings! Sorry for the delay replying here.

Hm, that behaviour sounds strange. Does it happen just with text files? When you click on a file (in this case, a text file) you get to the details screen until it downloads, and then it should carry you to the preview screen in case it downloads correctly. But in your case this doesn’t happen because it’s not downloading properly. So yes, let’s proceed here collecting some logs and researching them. There’s no internal viewer for log files, but you have two options: pressing on the row to open it (in an external app as you could see), or pressing on the share button to share with other apps (for example, via email). Let’s try to do this second option so that we can see the logs, you can send them to android-app@owncloud.com for us to check them :+1:.

About the file manager you comment, yes, you are not able to access the ownCloud files anymore from external apps that do NOT implement the document provider, which is the only and safe way to access them right now. In fact, the owncloud folder shouldn’t be created, this folder of your device may belong to an older version of the app and it is not currently used. One app that uses the document provider and thus allows you to access all your ownCloud files from the exterior is Files, you can find a direct link as well from Settings > More > Access document provider.

About GrapheneOS, I’m not very into that OS but as far as I know, it focuses on security, so it could be that it’s preventing the plain text traffic and that’s why it’s not allowing you to download these text files. But let’s check that with the logs better.

I will wait for your reply, and don’t hesitate to ask anything else you want! :beers:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.