Any clues desperately needed- overnight owncloud not available on 192.168.0.7 where it was installed and working yesterday

Spent my weekend installing OC on a virtualbox on my windows 10 machine. The server is up 24/7 and has plenty resources for my needs. I also have an xampp on there for occasional development. Not on at the moment.
My router is a Nowtv router(nothing fancy)
I used univention Corportate server UCS 4.4 with owncloud

Went to bed happy, all working, even apps on phone and laptop working. Had moved lots of files into it.

Today, I cant access it on the ip address it was installed on : 192.168…0.7

I had played with setting up a ‘service’ on the router last thing, to experiment with port forwarding, Maybe that had some impact. I removed it though and nothing improved.
My apps were installed to talk to 127.0.0.1

Today the router showed an extra item connected, but none existed. Two items seemed to be connected to the 92.168…0.8 ip address.
It showed that desktop where I installed OC was now assigned 192.168…0.8 . I had thought I was handling static IP addresses on my little home router. Could this be the issue? if yes would I need to find a way a way of changing it to static IP?
I tried accessing it on this IP address, but it took too long to respond and crashed. It was then that I rebooted and got it working back on the .0.7 ending ip address.
Now its working again, but I cant live with this nonsense daily.

I need some advice on how to harden this up and have a reliable tool I can just trust and use.

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:

Where did you install ownCloud from:

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):

Login as admin user into your ownCloud and access 
http://example.com/index.php/settings/integrity/failed 
paste the results into https://gist.github.com/ and puth the link here.

The content of config/config.php:

'admin' -> 'Generate Config Report' -> 'Download ownCloud config report'
This report includes the config.php settings, the list of activated apps
and other details in a well sanitized form.

or 

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ config:list system
from within your ownCloud installation folder

*ATTENTION:* Do not post your config.php file in public as is. Please use one of the above
methods whenever possible. Both, the generated reports from the web-ui and from occ config:list
consistently remove sensitive data. You still may want to review the report before sending.
If done manually then it is critical for your own privacy to dilligently
remove *all* host names, passwords, usernames, salts and other credentials before posting.
You should assume that attackers find such information and will use them against your systems.

Hey,

i’m not sure but i don’t think that ownCloud itself doesn’t do any IP address handling. As the underlying UCS is not provided by ownCloud maybe the support forum of Univention could be a better contact point:

1 Like

Thank you.
I never suspected that UCS managed the IP addresses. As I said, this is done by mu router. Lets not start blaming the shoe because the brakes failed.
If someone is expert or goves support on getting owncloud to work, they have to grasp the ip aspect and with home installs, its a standard router handling the DHCP etc.

I’m hoping that someone has done this before and/or can advise.
BTW, in the meantime, I have discovered on my router a way to register IP addresses. Apparently the translation of typically vague explanations suggests that this will make the IP permanent and not likely to be changed by DHCP reissuing leases
That sounds promising. Ill let you know if it works, just in case anyone else is in this predicament.
If it doesn’t work Ill have to look for other solutions.
Most of us should not be using onedrive or Google etc if it were not deliberately so damned hard to set up this very basic service on our own machines.
Id love to be bale to say, its simple just do A,B,C

Hey,

i think there was a misunderstanding of my posting. :frowning_face:

All i wanted to:

• say is that for example the IP address might be “fixed” configured in (parts) of the UCS appliance but the router assigned a different IP now (via DHCP) and thus the appliance couldn’t be reachable on the expected IP anymore
  • point out that there might be better places to get help for this kind of issues (as this forum is mainly used by ownCloud community users like me without having much knowledge on the router or the UCS appliance. It seems this has been confirmed now because no one else of the community added anything to this topic in the last 27 days :frowning_face:)
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.