Backup of files per User configurable and restorable?

I am wondering if there is anything like the Versions-App but what is User-configurable.
There are some Users, who need a number of backups of their data and others dont.
Ideally I could add an LDAP or MySQL Attribute to differenciate if the users files are being backed up or not.
On the other hand it must be very handy for the user to restore exact those file that he want or his complete directory. There shall be no admin-activity in this process.

Server configuration
Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04
Web server:Apache 2.4
Database: MySQL 5.6
PHP version: 7
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 9.1
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: fresh
Special configuration (external storage, external authentication, reverse proxy, server-side-encryption): NFS-mounted data directory

Hi,

unfortunately there is no such possibility included in ownCloud nor provided by any app (AFAICS) released at https://apps.owncloud.com

This needs to be achieved somehow on filesystem level by leveraging external tools accessing the ownCloud WebDAV interface.

Hi anon,

thanks for your reply. you are right. for basically backing up the pure files, your workaround could be sufficient. Though, if you also want to backup shares and additional data like data from other apps, I would like to ask for a new feature:

a user-configurable Backup app

vision:
a user can tell:
- in what timetable the backups shall be made
- which files/folder to backup
- where to backup to ... (this has to be designed) I can imagine either a hidden folder (.backup) or even into another account - one have to think about quota/diskspace.
- if he needs an restore and then perform the restore on his own, defining which dataset to use, which files to restore (single, multiple, all)

I think backup of files will be essential ! imagine a trojan encrypts all your files, while you are out. Coming back to your pc, all files are already synced to your cloud server. only a valid backup can help you get your data back.