Backup the owncloud

Before I start doing the backups, I wanted to make sure I don’t run into a duplication issue.

My plan is to use rsync to copy /data1 to /data2 once a week.

/data1 is where the owncloud data folders are kept. If rsync copies them, I’m not sure if it changes anything on the original file (date, archive bit, etc) that would cause owncloud to think the file has changed and re-sync to the clients.

As far as I can tell, rsync does nothing but read the original file, so it should be okay, but I’m hoping that someone with better working knowledge can confirm.

my set up: /data1 is a RAID0 of 2 drives (sata3 6Gb/sec). /data2 is a RAID5 of 8 drives (sata2 3Gb/sec)

Dear TheBearAK,
Here is a link where your question seems to be already answered How to Backup owncloud?. This is another link which talks about the new version. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if it was useful and helpful. Here is a link which I referred for rsync https://www.howtoforge.com/backing-up-with-rsync-and-managing-previous-versions-history. Maybe it will help you also. Let me know if it was useful.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check it out. I guess the main question is how does owncloud detect a change in the file?

I’ll read up on that link and get back.

As far as I know, ownCloud changes the E-Tag if the file is changed.