Can I run an OwnCloud server without a publicly accessible IP?

Hi there everyone!

While trying to set up an FTP server at my home years ago, I realized that my ISP had me behind a firewall in which tons of people displayed the same external IP address(I think I remembered it being called a NAT). I eventually gave up.

While reading up on OwnCloud, I saw mention a few times of DynDNS and related services that would allow users with temp IPs to still connect to their computer outside of the local network.

Would a service like this also allow someone like me to do the same? Does DynDNS act as a tunnel of sorts or is it just an IP tracker for people that have their own?

If it wouldn't suit my needs, is there some type of service or software I could use to end up with an externally accessible name or IP?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

You use DynDNS to keep your personal IP current on DNS servers. You will need to have a unique domain name that DynDNS will track. DynDNS offers free sub-domain names you can use. If you intend to secure your server access with a private certificate, you cannot use a sub-domain and would need to purchase your own domain name. In either case you will have to have a unique WAN IP address on your router assigned by your ISP. If you have a shared IP address, you won't be able to set up access on the WAN to your home server. Your ISP may offer a static IP address that would work for you. The downside is that you will have to pay for a static IP address.

Thanks very much for the reply, dlandon!

I was afraid of that. My ISP does not offer dedicated IPs to home accounts, unfortunately.

Does anyone know of any type of tunneling service that I could use to achieve the same end?

Thanks for your time!

Resolved the issue by going with Resilio, which seems to operate in a manner that suits my restrictions.

Thanks for all the help!

In the future ipv6 could be a solution. I have seen a few tunneling solutions but all were a bit pricy (couple of dollars/euros a month) so that you could also get a VPN service or spin your own VPN on a virtual private server.

Looks like you could have used syncthing or git-annex as well.

1 Like