Can i upgrade from owncloud 10.0.4 to 10.0.10 directly. i get a message on centos 6.10

PHP module intl not installed.

I would fix that first.

1 Like

That is fixed but still i am unable to upgrade

You have done something terribly wrong. Unfortunately I cannot help here, due to the lack of information.

1 Like

I just upgraded from 9 to 10.0.10 on Cento7 (running Virtualmin) but it wasn’t easy.
First I had to ensure that I had upgraded my php as I was only running 5.4 (now I’m at 7.2)
I was missing zip and intl after my php upgrade so I finally got those installed.
Then I had to ensure that the folders in owncloud were owned by apache:apache (Apps, Data [mine is outside public_html], Config and Updater) and that I had my config file moved into the new owncloud directory.
I then updated using occ

sudo -u apache php occ upgrade

It updated and I am able to use it (I might have had to turn maintenance mode off myself.) I am still trying to figure out exactly what permissions I need to set for files and directories.
From the manual I see this:

This summary lists the recommended modes and ownership for your ownCloud directories and files:

• All files should be read-write for the file owner, read-only for the group owner, and zero for the world
  • All directories should be executable (because directories always need the executable bit set), read-write for the directory owner, and read-only for the group owner
  • The apps/ directory should be owned by [HTTP user]:[HTTP group]
  • The apps-external/ directory should be owned by [HTTP user]:[HTTP group]
  • The config/ directory should be owned by [HTTP user]:[HTTP group]
  • The data/ directory should be owned by [HTTP user]:[HTTP group]
  • The updater/ directory should be owned by [HTTP user]:[HTTP group]
  • The [ocpath]/.htaccess file should be owned by root:[HTTP group]
  • The data/.htaccess file should be owned by root:[HTTP group]
  • Both .htaccess files are read-write file owner, read-only group and world

What I am not sure about are these statements:

All files should be read-write for the file owner, read-only for the group owner, and zero for the world
All directories should be executable (because directories always need the executable bit set), read-write for the directory owner, and read-only for the group owner

I assume they are referring to every folder and file inthe owncloud directory but I am not sure.
They do provide a script that can be used to make the necessary changes but I prefer to change these myself.
If anyone knows if this is referring to ALL files and directories within the owncloud directory I would really appreciate knowing.

This information is found in
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/installation_wizard.html#post-installation-steps-label

I mentioned Virtualmin because one of the biggest problems I had was PHP appeared to not be running after I upgraded it. It turned out that in my virtual server settings (httpd.conf) the following line had been inserted (I assume by Virtualmin)

php_admin_value engine Off

I commented it out and then it worked properly.

Hope this helps.
Kim

2 Likes

I’m about to update from 10.0.4 to 10.0.10 as well, and wondering what you meant by moving the config file? We can no longer upgrade in-place?

Trying to get all my ducks in a row before upgrading. Last time I upgraded, the LDAP connector went down and it was a nightmare trying to figure out what happened (uninstalling/reinstalling the LDAP add-on seemingly “fixed” the issue). It has made me leery of upgrading now.

I did a manual update because I was running 9.x and the recommended method was to upgrade incrementally. I mistakenly tried to upgrade not realizing that the my PHP was way out of date so I began to run into all sorts of errors. My stupidity for not reading through the DOCs first.
Instead I upgraded my PHP renamed my owncloud directory, created the new owncloud directory with 10.0.10 set my permissions on the required directories and moved over my config file. I then ran the occ upgrade and It all appears to be working fine for me now. I have my data directory outside of the public_html directory and do not use LDAP
If you are not already running into errors, I would upgrade using your normal method. My post was in rely to a problem that looked similar to the issue I was originally having not having the proper PHP modules installed.
Hope this clarifies things for you.
Kim

1 Like

It does. Thanks! I also ran into the same PHP issue when I did a 9 to 10 upgrade (because I didn’t read first - would have been nice to have a check on the upgrade that warned me about it). I only went to 5.6 though. Should have bit the bullet and gone right to 7.2 like you did.