Can ownCloud be integrated into a web-based Desktop Application?

Question

I’m a new ownCloud user, literally just set it up to test it out an hour ago. I’m doing a project where I have a web-based desktop software that would allow a user to access files and process the files within the software. The idea is to use ownCloud as the replacement file system mainly for file synchronization across a mobile application and this web-based application and for user access control. The desktop and mobile users can upload files to the ownCloud file system. Is it possible to connect ownCloud server to the software?

Initially I was planning to create and use a Flask Restful API to connect the software to the ownCloud server. Obviously I’ll like to do a lot more manipulation but this is the general gist of it. Hope I explained it clearly. I’ve done a bit of research and I’m not entirely sure if it is possible.

Expected behaviour

Within the Electron based application, the user would click a button which would open a file browser, giving them access to a certain folder and allow them to select files for processing to upload to the software.

Server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04 on WSL

Web server: Localhost

Database: MariaDB

PHP version: 7.1

ownCloud version: 10.0.8

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: Fresh Install

Where did you install ownCloud from: Ubuntu repository

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: local

Are you using encryption: no

ownCloud has webdav api for file operations and openId connect support for authorization. All of your needs seem possible to me.

You can find a proper webdav client for common languages. In javascript, even ownCloud has its own client: https://github.com/owncloud/owncloud-sdk

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I’ll experiment a little.

I also found this link for use with Python which I was looking to use: