Can't change logo ownCloud 9.1

I have followed all of the guides for replacing the ownCloud 9.1 logo on the login page. I uploaded the new logo.svg to /var/www/owncloud/core/img, chmod 644 and made sure root:root was the owner. I restarted apache and no joy. I cleared my browser cache and also tried in another browser but the old logo still appears. I also rebooted the server to no avail. I would appreciate any suggestions that could fix this issue. I don't know if it matters but I am running the server in VM.

Hi. I'm not an expert, but from my poking around, as odd as it might sound, have you checked that "everyone" has read permission to the file. Have you also checked to see if your install of OC is using the default theme, or has a different one specified in the core.php file in /owncloud/core/core.php ?

I know I have similar issues and also ended up updating the core .css file to point to the image which I deliberately renanamed.

Thanks.

Quick edit to include 2 screen shots of my set up. (Though mine is run on unsupported MacOS)