Can't update from repository - clearsigned file isn't valid

Hi,
I’ve been using Owncloud successfully for many years on my personal server with no problems. However, recently I am getting the following error with my normal, regular Debian buster apt updates. The problem is clearly to do with the specific repository I am using and sudden lack of acceptable signature.

I’ve not consciously made any changes to my Owncloud system so would appreciated some guidance on getting the current correct repository and adding the required signature to re-enable standard updates.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Richard.

“Get:7 download.owncloud.com InRelease
Err:7 download.owncloud.com InRelease
Clearsigned file isn’t valid, got ‘NOSPLIT’ (does the network require authentication?)
Ign:9 Index of /download/repository sarge InRelease
Hit:10 Index of /download/repository sarge Release
Reading package lists… Done
E: Failed to fetch download.owncloud.com Clearsigned file isn’t valid, got ‘NOSPLIT’ (does the network require authentication?)
E: The repository ‘download.owncloud.com InRelease’ is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.”

I initially suspected that you may have been effected by a change in the repository location, but am now uncertain. Why does the output you shared reference sarge? That Debian release was end of life before ownCloud existed and would not have a release packaged for it.

What Linux distribution and release are you using?

Can you share your apt owncloud.list?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I run debian buster on my VPN. I access it using crosh, the Chrome OS Linux developer shell.

I noticed the reference to Debian sarge and can only think it was referenced because I’ve been using Debian on my server for several years. The reponse I get to “apt owncloud.list” is “Invalid operation owncloud.list”

It looks like I need to download the correct updated repository with signature and delete the existing reference …

Richard.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.