Can't upgrade ownCloud using the web interface

Hello,

I've been migrating my ownCloud instance to a new server, and I've been running to some issues. I posted about the first problem I had in this post. Now that I've migrated ownCloud to a new server, I want to upgrade it to the last version. I think I'm currently on 9.0.2, and the latest version is 9.0.4 (if it isn't, please let me know!).

I'm trying to upgrade though the web interface, but I'm getting a white box and a 401 unauthorised error in the chrome dev console.

URL: https://owncloud.starbeamrainbowlabs.com/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v1/notifications?format=json
Status code: 401
Response body:

{"ocs":{"meta":{"status":"failure","statuscode":997,"message":"Unauthorised"},"data":[]}}

I'm logged in as the administrator. Why would I not have permission to update my own server?

The webserver logfiles are perhaps a bit more helpful with this error. If you already experience code problems, I wouldn't rely on the automatic updater app (which itself is not very reliable) and do a manual update.

• Make Backup of all data and database
  • Remove all directories except of config/ and data/
  • Extract archive of new version (owncloud.org/changelog), set correct permissions (everything is at least readable by www-data, data/ and config/ must be writable)
  • Run update on terminal sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade
  • Via interface, you need to install your apps again (all data are in your database or data/-folder).

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I was just wondering if there was an easy fix. I'll add a manual update to my todo list.

(Apparently I have to wait 17 hours to post this)

I've just gotten around to doing that upgrade, and I've found that sudo -u www-data ./occ upgrade crashes!

Here's the output:

The process control (PCNTL) extensions are required in case you want to interrupt long running commands - see http://php.net/manual/en/book.pcntl.php
ownCloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
Set log level to debug
Checking whether the database schema can be updated (this can take a long time depending on the database size)
 Done                                                        
 6/6 [============================] 100%                     
Checked database schema update
Checking updates of apps
An unhandled exception has been thrown:
Error: [] operator not supported for strings in /srv/owncloud/lib/private/App/InfoParser.php:186
Stack trace:
#0 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/App/InfoParser.php(188): OC\App\InfoParser->xmlToArray(Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#1 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/App/InfoParser.php(59): OC\App\InfoParser->xmlToArray(Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#2 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/legacy/app.php(662): OC\App\InfoParser->parse('/srv/owncloud/a...')
#3 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/Updater.php(310): OC_App::getAppInfo('files')
#4 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/Updater.php(235): OC\Updater->checkAppUpgrade('9.1.0.15')
#5 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/Updater.php(150): OC\Updater->doUpgrade('9.1.0.15', '9.0.2.2')
#6 /srv/owncloud/core/Command/Upgrade.php(290): OC\Updater->upgrade()
#7 /srv/owncloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Command/Command.php(259): OC\Core\Command\Upgrade->execute(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#8 /srv/owncloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(844): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#9 /srv/owncloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(192): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand(Object(OC\Core\Command\Upgrade), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#10 /srv/owncloud/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(123): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#11 /srv/owncloud/lib/private/Console/Application.php(146): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
#12 /srv/owncloud/console.php(94): OC\Console\Application->run()
#13 /srv/owncloud/occ(11): require_once('/srv/owncloud/c...')
#14 {main}

Hi,

please report this directly to: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues

Nothing what can be done here from user side so closing here to avoid that people are just reporting "me too".

Thanks, here is the reference: