Consumed space changed after migration and upgrade

Hello everyone, I just completed a migration of my home installation of ownCloud and had a question regarding the “consumed” space change after. Rather than go through all the gritty details of my migration process I just wanted to share the primary file structure from my user account in ownCloud before and after… Take a look…

Before:
182G /owncloud/data/UserName/files_versions
596M /owncloud/data/UserName/thumbnails
5.8M /owncloud/data/UserName/lucene_index
154G /owncloud/data/UserName/files
44K /owncloud/data/UserName/cache
8.0K /owncloud/data/UserName/files_external

df -h output:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgpool-lvdata 492G 337G 130G 73% /owncloud

After:
40G /owncloud/data/UserName/files_versions
4.0K /owncloud/data/UserName/uploads
596M /owncloud/data/UserName/thumbnails
5.8M /owncloud/data/UserName/lucene_index
154G /owncloud/data/UserName/files
44K /owncloud/data/UserName/cache
8.0K /owncloud/data/UserName/files_external

df -h output:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgpool-lvdata 492G 194G 273G 42% /owncloud

So I was freaking out at first thinking that I had lost a BUNCH of data through this migration and initial sync from my clients, but came to realize the “files” directory size had never changed. Still 154G, no change. However the size of the “file_versions” folder had changed by about 142G… 182G in size before the upgrade and only 40 Gb in size after…

Can someone give me some context as to what the heck this “file_versions” folder is for and why it was so huge? Is there a maintenance task I had been ignoring or a setting that will keep this folder smaller in the future?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Adam Tyler

Hey,

i did the following search:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/search.html?q=file+versions

and found this documentation which seems to explain what this “file_versions” is for:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration/files/file_versioning.html

Crazy! I have been using ownCloud for years now and never even saw this “versions” tab… wow.

Going back through the history of these files it looks like some go back 2 years.! I wonder why my migration/upgrade would have influenced the space used though? Perhaps the retention policy changed between ownCloud 9 and 10? Or some compression technology was introduced?

Regards,
Adam Tyler

Maybe the upgrade has triggered a clean-up routine for old file versions?