Copy many files to a folder via browser fails

Recently I installed the owncloudX app on a QNAP NAS and it basically works fine.

Now I dragged a local sd-card-folder with many files to an owncloud folder in a browser to make them available for my owncloud clients.

This did not work. I did not find a way to fix this. And with fix I mean get rid of the error and get all the files into my ownCloud. I cannot make the number of files smaller and I cannot use a local client app because I don’t have so much local storage. It has to go from the local (external) folder to the QNAP NAS.

Expected behaviour

Eventually all files are copied. I can click on the owncloud folder and see all files

Actual behaviour

After getting back to the computer there is no visible feedback. Looks like upload is done.
If I click on the new folder I get the error message This directory is unavailable, please check the logs or contact the administrator

Steps to reproduce

1. install owncloudX qnap app, standard config on a qnap TS-462
  2. login via webbrowser, display users owncloud files
  3. drag local folder containing many files on the browser

Server configuration

Operating system: QTS 5.0.1.2346

Web server: (?, whatever the app/container uses) and as ssl proxy: apache2-2.4.56-1.2.x86_64 on openSUSE Tumbleweed

Database: (?, whatever the app/container uses)

PHP version: (?, whatever the app/container uses)

ownCloud version: ownCloud 10.0.10 (stable)

Storage backend (external storage): (?, whatever the app/container uses)

Client configuration

Client version: Chromium Version 112.0.5615.49 (openSUSE Build) stable (64-Bit)

Operating system: openSUSE Tumbleweed VERSION=“20230411”

OS language: German

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog): n/a

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only): n/a

Installation path of client: n/a

Logs

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt: n/a
  2. Web server error log: where is this on the QNAP app?
  3. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log): SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 too many SQL variables

sorry, not allowed to use links, so please concat yourself… :frowning:
more log: https:// gist dot github dot com /joba-1/75523158d9d22e6cc97794eedc2d351f#file-owncloud-log

Hm, nothing?

Is it really the state of play that anyone can destroy an owncloud database by simply uploading a folder with enough files in it?

I cannot find what the actual limit is in the documentation. I only found it just depends on the used filesystem - but that works just fine with the folder

I also cannot find a way to fix the database in such a situation.

A restore would be a viable workaround for now but not good enough to continue to use owncloud when it is that easy to break. Too bad - otherwise it looked really nice and promising.

Hey,

if i’m checking Server Changelog - ownCloud i can see that this version was releases more then four years ago:

10.0.10 - 2018-09-18

I think it is recommended to use the current version 10.12.0 because i think you could facing some already resolved bugs in this heavily outdated version.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, you‘re absolutely right. That is not old, it is ancient!
But still it is what you get if you install it via the official qnap app center and I don’t know of another way to install it there.

Until I find a way to install a newer version my owncloud has dissolved…

1 Like

Hey,

i have noticed the following in the documentation of ownCloud today:

Maybe it is already possible to install a recent version by following these instructions?

It seems there is also a more recent ownCloud 10.10.0 already available in the QNAP App Center.

1 Like

I basically followed the installation instructions in your first link (the second is broken), but without knowing it - it describes the standard way of installing stuff on qts. My nas also fulfills the requirements:

• RAM > 2GB, better > 4 GB: 18 GB RAM (14 GB free)
  • QTS > 4.5.4: 5.01
  • Create a storagepool: I have an additional storage pool
  • Container Station >= 2.0: I have 2.6.4
  • Install ownCloud through app center: I did that

Now the first difference: there is no ownCloud Icon on the qts desktop. But I believe this is basically a link to the local owncloud webpage. And I can acces this via browser - > should be no problem.

• cron is set to use system cron (but with admin@qnap# crontab -l I don’t see owncloud related entries? I s that somehow hidden inside the container?)

While playing around, I found the Updater feature in (user)/Settings/Administration/General. I’ll check if I can use this and what version it gets me (it even offers daily and beta channels).

Now that you mentioned v10.10: somehow I didn’t notice this so far, but I have that too. So if the Updater doesn’t help, I’ll try this.

Thanks for all your input! Very helpful.

1 Like

Additional info, since I currently backup the data:

The two physical directories that correspond to the owncloud folders showing errors on the webpage and take me back to the users root folder have a bit more than 2100 files in them (should be more).

Updater via web does NOT work: it always says my version is the latest (even if I switch the channel to daily)

I stoppend app owncloudX (in case it uses same resources, like ports), and installed owncloud (10.10) now via the app center.
Also no icon on the desktop, but clicking on the icon in the app center and then on open I get the message similar to “owncloud is starting, please try later”.
ps reveals nothing related to owncloud, except every minute there is some short cron activity and postgres activity.
I see no new open ports I could try to connect to.

I found the owncloud.sh script which seems is used to start and stop the service.
It also allows other parameters. debug-owncloud-logs gives this result, so there is something going on:

owncloud_1  | Creating hook folders...
owncloud_1  | Waiting for PostgreSQL...
owncloud_1  | services are ready!
owncloud_1  | Waiting for Redis...
owncloud_1  | services are ready!
owncloud_1  | Writing config file...
owncloud_1  | Fixing base perms...
owncloud_1  | Fixing data perms...
owncloud_1  | Fixing hook perms...
owncloud_1  | Upgrading server database...
owncloud_1  | ownCloud is already latest version
owncloud_1  | Enabling qnap app...
owncloud_1  | qnap enabled
owncloud_1  | System config value license-class set to string \OCA\QNAP\QnapLicense
owncloud_1  | ownCloud is already latest version
owncloud_1  | Setting qnap specific settings...
owncloud_1  | System config value updatechecker set to boolean false
owncloud_1  | Config value umgmt_show_is_enabled for app core set to true
owncloud_1  | Config value umgmt_show_last_login for app core set to true
owncloud_1  | System config value grace_period.demo_key.show_popup set to boolean false
owncloud_1  | System config value skeletondirectory set to string /var/www/owncloud/core/skeleton
owncloud_1  | System config value integrity.ignore.missing.app.signature => 1 set to string theme-qnap
owncloud_1  | Writing objectstore config...
owncloud_1  | Writing php config...
owncloud_1  | Updating htaccess config...
owncloud_1  | .htaccess has been updated
owncloud_1  | Writing apache config...
owncloud_1  | Enabling cron background...
owncloud_1  | Set mode for background jobs to 'cron'
owncloud_1  | Writing crontab file...
owncloud_1  | Touching cron configs...
owncloud_1  | Starting cron daemon...
owncloud_1  | Writing custom config file...
owncloud_1  | Starting apache daemon...
owncloud_1  | [Sun Apr 16 12:06:21.000825 2023] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 313] AH00163: Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) configured -- resuming normal operations
owncloud_1  | [Sun Apr 16 12:06:21.000871 2023] [core:notice] [pid 313] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/apache2 -f /etc/apache2/apache2.conf -D FOREGROUND'
owncloud_1  | 127.0.0.1 - - [16/Apr/2023:12:07:14 +0000] "GET /status.php HTTP/1.1" 200 1178 "-" "curl/7.68.0"

last line repeated once every minute.

As it seems, problem was that I used port 8080 on my NAS for the local qnap web admin interface, since I need port 80 for something else. The docker config of the ownCloud app is also using this port.
Now everything (I tested) works as expected, including folders with more than 9000 files.

Thanks for your support!

1 Like

Hey,

it is great that you were able to figure this out.

I have also created Get outdated ownCloud version removed from QNAP App Store? about the ancient ownCloud version on the QNAP App Center, maybe some one from ownCloud directly or the ownCloud community is able to contact QNAP to get this ancient fully removed from the App Center or at least have it marked as outdated.

I have seen the post, let’s see what happens.
Would also be interesting how to update this newer app later. Currently it is at 10.10, not 10.12 although the log above says “ownCloud is already latest version”.
I could get in an increasingly difficult situation if I now really use the app but later don’t have an upgrade path.
EDIT: added github issue for that:
https:// github dot com/owncloud/docs-server/issues/942 (sorry, still can’t post links, please concat yourself…)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.