Documents going to Files

Steps to reproduce
1. Go to Documents
2. Click Upload
3. Navigate, select file

Expected behaviour
I am new to Owncloud but I expected it to upload in Documents and become visible there. I don't know if I am using it incorrectly or if I am making an error.

Actual behaviour
Nothing becomes visible in Documents. Instead the file becomes visible in Files. When I look at the files on the server, the document ends up in /data/user/files. The only file in Documents is example.odt

Server configuration
Operating system: Linux
Web server: nginx
Database: Sqlite
PHP version: 5.6
ownCloud version: most current - downloaded yesterday.
Fresh install:
ownCloud log: I'll try and attach it but not sure I've done the right thing here. (Sorry new users can't upload)

Integrity status for oC9+
Security & setup warnings

You are accessing this site via HTTP. We strongly suggest you configure your server to require using HTTPS instead as described in our security tips.
No memory cache has been configured. To enhance your performance please configure a memcache if available.

There is also a php error on the server:

[Mon Oct 03 05:58:36 2016] [crit] client 49.193.24.155Permission denied: /home5/austra82/public_html/owncloud/data/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

The file is 644

Hi,

if you're facing issues with the app please report them directly to the app developer at:

https://github.com/owncloud/documents/issues

Might be possible that this is the same issue previously discussed at the following issue. Seems that was closed by a user too early.

1. Documents app displays supported mimetypes only: odt by default, doc(x) when word converter is enabled.
  2. Any other file can be uploaded via the app but will not be visible there. Because of 1.

from