Downloaded zip file will not open in Windows or OSX

Expected behaviour

Files should download and open

Actual behaviour

When multiple files are selected and downloaded they come down as a zip file. When trying to unzip them in both Windows10 and Mac OSX (10.13.6) I get an error on both operating systems.

Steps to reproduce

1. select multiple files to download
  2. a zipped file will download either .tar or .zip
  3. an error will occur saying the zip file is invalid

Server configuration

Operating system: OS X and Windows 10

Web server: Lightspeed

Database: MySQL

PHP version: 7.3

ownCloud version: 10.1

Storage backend (external storage):

Client configuration

Client version:

Operating system:

OS language:

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog):

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only):

Installation path of client:

Logs

Please use Gist (https://gist.github.com/) or a similar code paster for longer
logs.

Template for output < 10 lines

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt
    (On Windows using cmd.exe, you might need to first cd into the ownCloud directory)
    (See also http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/2.2/troubleshooting.html#client-logfile )

2. Web server error log:

3. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log):

macOS ZIP is too old, it can’t read the kind of ZIP ownCloud produces. If you download multiple files on macOS, it downloads a *.tar file.

The problem with *.ZIP on Windows sounds strange. Could you link to an example file?

1 Like

Hi Michael - on the OSX side, two files were downloaded. I don’t recall if both came down at the same time or not but here are two screenshots with errors from trying to extract from both:

CloudApp

CloudApp

Here is a link to the Windows 10 folder “upload”:

You will get a similar error. The folder will download and be approx. 530MB, it will try to extract it but then give you an error.

MIke

I’d guess the creation of the ZIP or TAR fails and doesn’t finish. Does smaller downloads work for you? owncloud.log should show error messages in such cases.

1 Like

I am still facing this problem, exactly as Mike describes above.

It doesn’t seem to work for large files or small. I’ve tried as small as 12mb. I’ve actually had this problem for a long time and used the client usually, but now it’s starting to become a bigger issue.

Has this been resolved, or are there any workarounds?

Do you get any error messages, what ownCloud version are you using?
Perhaps it would be better for you to open a new server topic where you can fill out the template with all information about your system

1 Like