Email Configuration SMTP error - Connection Refused 111

I've installed OC 9.1.4 on Godaddy by simply unpacking it in it's own directory and logging in. I can't believe it was that easy and it might not be, because I can't send emails.

I the 'Admin' 'Email Server' all of my setting are correct (I've checked with the host and the email account is fine.

but I get the following message when I send a test email;

A problem occurred while sending the email. Please revise your settings. (Error: Connection could not be established with host smtp.1and1.com [Connection refused #111])

I have not installed a security cert on the site yet, but 1and1 siad that would make no difference. Any suggestions?

Connection refused just means that your system can't reach the configured SMTP server. The documentation at [1] provides various steps helping you debugging your issue.

[1] https://doc.owncloud.org/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_server/email_configuration.html#troubleshooting

Thanks.

I've made suggested changes, but still the same error message. this is the emai section of my config.php. I've just changed the password in this post

'mail_from_address' => 'cloudsupport',
'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
'mail_domain' => 'sspc.co',
'mail_smtphost' => 'smtp.1and1.com',
'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
'mail_smtpauth' => true,
'mail_smtpsecure' => 'tls',
'mail_smtpname' => 'cloudsupport@sspc.co',
'mail_smtppassword' => 'S#####i',
'mail_smtpport' => '587',l

There might be even networking issues (Firewall, DNS etc.) on your base system so just changing the config.php probably won't solve this issue.

it's being sent from my webspace on Godaddy, via my browser. I'll give them a call.

Sorted.

I should have set it to PHP Mail.

once i did that it worked fine.

Yeah, they are most likely blocking outgoing stuff from the server via iptables or similar.

now on to email templates. It never ends lol.