Endlessly syncing

Since updating the desktop version to newest version, owncloud is syncing endlessly 6,5 GB. When finished, the sync starts from new. Any ideas?

Expected behaviour

Synchronisaton once

Actual behaviour

Syncronization restarts after finished

Steps to reproduce

Server configuration

Operating system: PLESK / LINUX

Web server: PLESK

Database: MYSQL

PHP version:

ownCloud version:

Storage backend (external storage):

Client configuration

Client version:

Operating system:

OS language:

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog):

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only):

Installation path of client:

Logs

Please use Gist (https://gist.github.com/) or a similar code paster for longer
logs.

Template for output < 10 lines

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt
    (On Windows using cmd.exe, you might need to first cd into the ownCloud directory)
    (See also http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/2.2/troubleshooting.html#client-logfile )

2. Web server error log:

3. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log):

1 Like

Any errors show in the UI? (Account page or “Not synced” tab)

The same happens to me on Windows 10. The behaviour is reproducible on different Windows PCs connected to the same account with the same version of the client. The endless syncing keeps ca. 50% of my CPU power busy all the time (causes large energy consumption, heat production, noisiness etc.). A fix would be greatly appreciated.

Expected behaviour
Synchronization should be started only when:

• the client is launched
  • changes are made either on the server or locally
  • synchronization is unpaused
  • synchronization is forced manually.
  • When errors occur during the last sync, the client might re-try the synchronization once again. But when exactly the same errors occur, the client should give up and wait for any local or remote changes. There is no use in re-trying the (failed) synchronization over and over again.

Actual behaviour
Immediately after a finished synchronization (with errors) a new synchronization is started although there are no local nor remote changes. On the client screen with my account and synchronized folders it reads chronologically (translated from Czech):

• Please wait
  • Looking for changes in /loops/through/folders/where/errors/occured
  • 0s remaining, x kb out of 123 kb, file p of 613
  • 25s remaining, x kb out of 123 kb, file p of 613
  • several errors are listed of the type: Response from server “404 Not Found” do "GET https://owncloud.tuwien.ac.at/remote.php/dav/files/foo/bar , C:/local/synced/folder , 355 B , myname@owncloud.tuwien.ac.at,2021-09-30T11:13:13.000Z
  • Then a new synchronization is started and this repeats forever.

Steps to reproduce
Start the ownCloud client

Server configuration
ask help@it.tuwien.ac.at

Client configuration
Client version: 2.9.0 (build 5150)
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro, v. 20H2, build 19042.1237, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0
OS language: Czech
Installation path of client: C:/Program Files (x86)/ownCloud

Logs

The same problem occurs with the client version 2.9.1 (build 5500). As I mentioned earlier, I am experiencing an unbearable computational load (on the client side) whenever the OwnCloud client is running with unpaused synchronization.

For now I keep the synchronization paused, and only unpause it for a single sync run when I want to upload local changes or download remote changes. Another options would be to simply downgrade to an older version of the client, perhaps 2.8.2, or just launch the Command Line Client at regular time intervals (e.g. every 10 minutes). The latter could be achieved with few lines a simple script.

Any other ideas? Is there any way to make the desktop client sync ONLY when there are new local or remote changes? I thought this was the primary purpose of the desktop app. Should this issue not be more important than any fancy features like virtual files or colourful file icons (#9026)? A quick & dirty fix would be to provide an option to limit the maximum frequency of synchronizations.

Apologies to anyone who might find this post balancing on the edge of politeness. It might indeed reflect some frustration, but no offence is intended. I appreciate the kind and patient work of the OwnCloud community.

1 Like

Problem solved by downgrading the desktop client to version 2.8.2

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.