Errors upgrading from 8.2.0 to 8.2.11

I hope this isn’t a repeat, but I can’t find anything searching.

I have a very old installation (8.2.0) that I want to more to one of the latest versions. The documentation recommends that if I want to move to a new major version, I should upgrade to version 8.2.11 first.

After a backup, I attempted to use the “Update” tool in the Admin page, but it fails during the “Check and Backup” step with the error:
Server error. Please check the web server log file for details.

In the log, I find a CalDAV error I can’t even understand:

Exception: {“Message”:“Error reading from input stream”,“Exception”:“Sabre\VObject\ParseException”,“Code”:0,“Trace”:"#0 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\VObject\Parser\MimeDir->readLine()\n#1 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\VObject\Parser\MimeDir->parseDocument()\n#2 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\VObject\Parser\MimeDir->parse(NULL, 0)\n#3 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\VObject\Reader::read(NULL)\n#4 /home/hartleys/ OC_Calendar_Object::editFromDAVData(‘contact_birthda…’, ‘local::2::210.i…’, ‘BEGIN:VCALENDAR…’)\n#5 /home/hartleys/ OCA\Calendar\Sabre\Backend->updateCalendarObject(‘contact_birthda…’, ‘local::2::210.i…’, ‘BEGIN:VCALENDAR…’)\n#6 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\CalDAV\CalendarObject->put(‘BEGIN:VCALENDAR…’)\n#7 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\DAV\Server->updateFile(‘calendars/Blais…’, Resource id #362, NULL)\n#8 [internal function]: Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpPut(Object(Sabre\HTTP\Request), Object(Sabre\HTTP\Response))\n#9 /home/hartleys/ call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#10 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit(‘method:PUT’, Array)\n#11 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Object(Sabre\HTTP\Request), Object(Sabre\HTTP\Response))\n#12 /home/hartleys/ Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()\n#13 /home/hartleys/ require_once(’/home/hartleys/…’)\n#14 {main}",“File”:"/home/hartleys/",“Line”:253}

Does anyone have any ideas or guidance on how to fix/workaround this issue?

Is this the only error you’re getting? I’m not sure this is actually the problem.

Please do a manual upgrade and when using the occ upgrade command use occ -vvv upgrade to increase the logging output.

Can you tell us more about your setup? The post template for server topics is there for a reason…

I would definitely recommend to run a test upgrade on a testing setup first. You should be able to setup a VM for this on your workstation.

1 Like

Forgive my lack of scrolling down in the template!

Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS - Shared Dreamhost server
Kernel: Linux 4.14.117-grsec-grsec+
Web Server version: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
Database: MySQL 5
PHP Version 5.6

That is the only error with a timestamp appropriate to the attempt to upgrade.

I have attempted to use occ, but it never responds. It accepts my commands without error, but it just immediately dumps me back at the command prompt with no feedback…

Interestingly, after a server restart I requested from my host, the error at the time of update failure is now different:

Error PHP Automatically populating $HTTP_RAW_POST_DATA is deprecated and will be removed in a future version. To avoid this warning set ‘always_populate_raw_post_data’ to ‘-1’ in php.ini and use the php://input stream instead. at Unknown#0 2020-08-03T20:01:50+00:00

Shared hosting is not supported, because occ commands often don’t work.
I wouldn’t try to make it work inside the shared hosting, as it will be a giant hassle.

I would migrate the installation into a local VM or docker container and do the upgrade in there.
Finally I would migrate the installation back onto the host.

However I guess you’re trying to upgrade to 8.2.11 as you want to upgrade further, probably because your hoster is discontinuing the old PHP 5.6 platform (?). If that is the case you might have to have a look whether their new platform with newer PHP 7.0+ is still compatible enough with ownCloud so you are able to install it on there. If you have to change hoster anyway, to get the newer ownCloud running, there will be a lot of stuff to evaluate, consider, test and migrate…

I got occ working. I just had to specify the full path to the php version.

But you’re right, I’m trying to escape PHP 5.6, which is being turned off.

Unfortunately, my attempts at a manual upgrade still failed, because the occ upgrade command dumped a bunch of exceptions all approximately saying the same thing:

“exception ‘PDOException’ with message ‘SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 no such table: oc_appconfig’ in /home/hartleys/ ib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php:77”

I’m wondering if this is the actual error underlying my original attempt s to upgrade…