Extended hard disk size

Server configuration
raspbian 3.1 september 2019

Web server:
nginx

Database:
sqlite

PHP version:

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:
older fresh

I started by following https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-owncloud/ except for the part of the ntfs external hard disk, I have no use for ntfs so I decided on a big partition with EXT4 - about 780 GB on an external hd.
But when I take a peek in my /media folder for the mounted devices it tells me in the properties it is only 12GB in size of which 5.5GB is free to use. (I used sudo pcmanfm to look at the files and folders in /media.)

This is similar to what df -h shows:
Bestandssysteem Grootte Gebruikt Besch Geb% Aangekoppeld op
/dev/root           12G     5,9G  5,5G  52% /
devtmpfs           484M        0  484M   0% /dev
tmpfs              488M        0  488M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs              488M     6,8M  482M   2% /run
tmpfs              5,0M     4,0K  5,0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs              488M        0  488M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p6     253M      40M  213M  16% /boot
/dev/sda2          116G      59G   52G  54% /media/FTP
tmpfs               98M        0   98M   0% /run/user/1000
/dev/sdb3          578G     454G   95G  83% /media/pi/ext3medion
/dev/sdb1          338G     122G  216G  37% /media/pi/ntfs-win-princip
/dev/sda3           32G      48M   31G   1% /media/pi/tmp
/dev/sda1          769G      52G  678G   8% /media/pi/wdEigenElements
/dev/mmcblk0p8     172M     284K  159M   1% /media/pi/data
--------------------------------

In my former post
why use a external hard disk
a moderator eneubauer replied this was intentional. I still can not believe this answer/reply because the consequence is that an external hard disk is useless.

The question is how a 780GB partition gets to show up as a 12GB partition in a raspi3b.

This is correct, look at the output you pasted below this sentence. Your mountpoints are deeper in the filesystem (Aangekoppeld op)

If you are pointing your ownCloud data directory to /mnt/pi/data, you’re going to have 172MB available for your ownCloud installation. I’d recommend to point it to /media/pi/wdEigenElements that looks like it is your external hard drive.

1 Like

Dear Erik,

My owncloud data directory IS pointing to /media/pi/wdEigenElements. That is precisely the problem. Everything looks O.K. but is not when I take a graphical file browser like pcmanfm and have a look at the mounted file systems in /media. The funny exception is the eigwolk partition mounted on /media/eigenwolk. I’ll insert a picture below.eigenwolk-2
The free space of 5,5 GB looks remarkably like the free space on /dev/root and I fear that is the reason that everything I upload to the owncloud disk gets subtracted from /dev/root as well. That is why I argue that if this is intentional behaviour - as you stated - there is no use for an external hard disk. :roll_eyes:

Look at your output of df -h everything is mounted in /media/pi NOT in /media/ (except /media/FTP).
Therefore your /media/ folder belongs to the root filesystem.

I recommend to read up on mounting and how to configure your /etc/fstab file for automatic mounting (or alternatively systemd mounting, whatever you prefer)

You can mount your external hard disks wherever you want in Linux, and this is completely transparent for ownCloud. You could for example mount your external hard drive to /owncloud, configure your ownCloud to use /owncloud/data as data directory. And then you have to be aware that PHP will still use the local system partition for chunks, and this might restrict the maximum filesize you can upload at once. However once the upload is finished the chunks are being moved to the data partition and the system partition is no longer used as the chunks are cleaned up (this is the problem you had in the other topic).

If you initially set up your ownCloud to use ‘/media/eigenwolk’ and you only set the data directory after some users already logged in and uploaded files, there might still be some home directory configurations in the database.
I would recommend to set the data directory before installing.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

1 Like

Hey,

this is what i had found today about the move of the data directory:

https://doc.owncloud.com/server/10.3/admin_manual/maintenance/manually-moving-data-folders.html

1 Like