Fail to reinstall owncloud - error messages occur, applicatio doesn't start propely

Hello owncloud community!

My laptop has recently caused some trouble (not starting properly or shutting down all of a sudden), so that windows offered me the option to reset it by removing all externally installed applications but leaving my files untouched. That worked beatifully so far. Now, I thought, all I’d have left to do would be installing owncloud and my prefered internet browser and everything would be back to normal.

But I fail to reinstall the application and get the following two error messages:

“An error occured while trying to register the module C:\Program Files(86x)\ownCloud\shellext_x64\OCContextMenu.dll.
HRESULT -2147024770.
Please contact the support.”

and

“An error occured while trying to register the module C:\Program Files(86x)\ownCloud\shellext_x64\OCOverlays.dll.
HRESULT -2147024770.
Please contact the support”

My computer is set to german, so I translated them. But I hope that is sufficnt information, regarding the error messages, at least. I did make screenshots but cannot apply them to the post, since I am a new user.

I get the options to either cancel, retry or ignore.
Canceling will result in the cancellation of the installation (duh), retry won’t lead to anything and ignoring will lead the the completion of the installation. However, after the more or less sucessfull installation of the programm, I cannot start it properly and get instead confronted with the following error message:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13326694/owncloudissue03.png.html

It says:
“The program cannot be startet, as api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing on the computer. Reinstall the programm in order to solve the issue.”

I tried of course to reinstall the programm as well as restarting my computer severa times.
Here is the information concerning my computer:

I used the latest owncloud version. It used to work flawlessly.
I would assume that there are still files left from the previous installed owncloud application, maybe they need to be removed completely? If so, how? If not, what am I supposed to do?

Thank you all in advance!
Have a super nice day :slight_smile:

Menko

1 Like

what is the exact version of the ownCloud app you were trying to install?

Was is a .msi file or a .exe file?

Edit:

this is the recommended one:
https://download.owncloud.com/desktop/stable/ownCloud-2.5.0.10598.msi

I have the same error. I am using ‘ownCloud-2.5.0.10598.msi’ on Windows 8.1

Is your windows up to date?

Our engineers reported back that this is a known issue if you don’t install all the updates.

A specific windows patch is missing and causing the errors your are experiencing right now.

1 Like

As @dmitry pointed out, this usually means that your system is not up to date and thus lacks Universal CRT.
Please install all updates via Windows Update.

Alternatively you can try this https://download.owncloud.com/desktop/daily/ownCloud-2.5.1.10741.10684-daily20181003.msi daily build. This should fix the dll not being found issue, but probably not the error during installation. Still trying to figure out why. I tried to include the Universal CRT there, but I’m anyway not yet convinced it’s a really good idea to do so, so better update your system instead of relying on this being included in the next release as well…

1 Like

hello @dmitry, @dschmidt
I´m having the same issue as well. I´ve tried the windows update and the daily built but still not working.

Is there anything you can suggest me to do?

thanks a lot

edit/ after going around for a while it turned out a SP1 installation was enough…i hope others find this useful.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. It might be possible that you need Windows 7 SP1 for the app local UCRT to work. :-\

FTR this is the Windows Update you need otherwise: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3118401/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

1 Like

Hey menko,
did you find a solution for your problem?
I have the same problem on windows 8 on virtual box.
I updated windows and I used ownCloud-2.5.0.10598.msi as Chris-Stehno.

I fail to install it, it is no reinstallation.

I would be really happy for further suggestions.

what error are you getting?

during installation [translated from German]:
“An error occured while trying to register the module C:\Program Files(86x)\ownCloud\shellext_x64\OCContextMenu.dll.
HRESULT -2147024770.
Please contact the support.”

and

“An error occured while trying to register the module C:\Program Files(86x)\ownCloud\shellext_x64\OCOverlays.dll.
HRESULT -2147024770.
Please contact the support”

and if I ignore:
“The program cannot be startet, as api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing on the computer. Reinstall the programm in order to solve the issue.”

Thanks a lot! That windows update that dschmidt suggested, allowed me to reinstall owncloud successfully!
Thank you to you all for helping me out, now I can finally use all my Uni files from everywhere :slight_smile:

Hi,

Do you have your win 8 System updated to the last update?

Can you give me your exact windows version number?

hey dmitry,
I use windows 8.1 pro
I updated it today.
thank you!

Here is an issue in the client Repo with a related problem.

Can you give me the exact version number of your windows?

Exact Win version mean, navigate to System > About and scroll down. You’ll see the “Version” and “Build” numbers here.

2 Likes

Our engineer @dschmidt has discovered what your windows is missing.

This is what you are lacking:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/ide/universal-crt-deployment?view=vs-2017

You need to install the following updates:

KB2999226 or/and KB3118401

or simply the vc2017 redist package (although that has more than they need)

2 Likes

FTR direct links to the VC redistributables can be found here:

2 Likes

thank you very much for the very helpfull advices!

@tobilinn @MenkoH @luis_gerardo_Aponte @Chris_Stehno We would need help to test an install that does not need CRT/UCRT. Can you help us testing?

See comment on https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues/6799#issuecomment-434033383 (so you need to uninstall CRT/UCRT first)

1 Like