File upload - temp folder

Server configuration
Operating system: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) - 3.16.0-4-amd64
Web server: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)
Database: 15.1 Distrib 10.0.25-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
PHP version: 5.6.23-0+deb8u1 (cli) - Zend Engine v2.6.0 with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev
ownCloud version: 9.1.0 (stable)
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: Fresh install
Special configuration: None

I am currently trying to redefine the location where ownCloud should store the temp files during upload. To be able to allow multiple large uploads at the same time I need the temp location to reside inside ownCloud's own storage structure. After consulting the documentation I have modified the config.php with:

'tempdirectory' => '/data/owncloud/tmp',

Unfortunately, this seems to not have taken effect since when uploading files I will still see the usage percentage on the system drive increase rather than the "ownCloud" drive being used, which is mounted at /data.
Do I have to add the php.ini directive

upload_tmp_dir

or include that in the .htaccess to get ownCloud's "tempdirectory" to work?

Hi,

there is an open issue about that available here where you can find some background info:

You need to add upload_tmp_dir to your php.ini.

Because ownCloud uses POST for uploads, there is no way for ownCloud to tell PHP beforehand where to store the uploaded file because PHP doesn't give control to ownCloud until AFTER the upload has finished. (no PHP code runs until the file is fully written to temp space)

This will be solved in the future (hopefully 9.2) by using PUT for web UI uploads instead: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/4380