Files not syncing

@bar have you been able to solve this issue? If not, could you please provide your settings so we can see if there is anything in common? I have to say that i have not changed anything of the default set up provided by the installer and, so far, with all previuos versions, owncloud worked smoothly. It is clearly an issue regarding file size (because small files do sync perfectly).
The client starts syncing at a normal pace but at some point the sync status bar progresses to the end at a speed that is impossible to be real considering the file size and bandwidth. This only happens with big files.

I have investigated a little bit more... I have manually uploaded one of the conflicting files manually and it does upload perfectly through the web interface. The problem is that despite being uploaded in the server it is not sync with the local folder so it is not downloaded to the folder where it should be... Where do you think could the problem be?

@boydhako have you been able to solve this issue? If not, could you please provide your settings so we can see if there is anything in common? I have to say that i have not changed anything of the default set up provided by the installer and, so far, with all previuos versions, owncloud worked smoothly. It is clearly an issue regarding file size (because small files do sync perfectly). The web uploaded works normally so I guess it is something related to the client....

If nothing helps then i think you can still follow the previous advice:

Ok, i'll do that... It seems to be much higher activity at the github forum than around here anyway

Thank you very much anyway for your help

I think there is quite some activity in here. But from what i know in here mostly users are around and those have often not that much knowledge about such special issues you're currently struggling with.

If you're creating a bugreport then i think it would be great if you could post a link to it in this thread so readers can follow it.

I have created a Bug report here

Hope they can find the problem. If it is solved i will keep you posted

And thank you @tom42 for your suggestions

1 Like

Hi @tom42 @boydhako and @bar the issue is solved. You can follow the link to the github issue above. Basically it is solved when creating an Environment Variable OWNCLOUD_CHUNKING_NG and set its value to 0.

Hope this solution helps you as well.

Thanks!

1 Like

Great news. Seems @alfageme had provided some background on this in the issue:

We don't currently support shared hosters since they're quite painful to deal with. Your problem might be related to limited/shared access to a DB/permanent storage when using chunking. However, there's a way to force the client to use the old algorithm and endpoint. Can you give a try switching the OWNCLOUD_CHUNKING_NG env.var. and restart the client? (i.e. launch the client with this variable set to 0 on cmd)

and the issue:

Something that changed sensibly from version 2.2.4 to 2.3.* is the use of the new chunking algorithm (#4019) if the server reports it - can you give a try switching the OWNCLOUD_CHUNKING_NG env.var and restart the client? (i.e. launch the client with this var. set to 0)

Its not the first time i had read about issues on shared hosters due to limited resources not able to handle the requirements of ownCloud. :confused:

And i think especially the second text explains why this issue was showing up after an upgrade from 9 to 10. Probably only 10 reports this "new chunking" and thus the client had used it directly.

Everytime i have such an issue i tell myself to set up a server myself... I have some knowledge on how to set up things but not at all about programming or systems and i risk not being efficient. I will try...

Thank you @alfageme and @tom42

Thanks for this. Where do I set the environment variables?

I think this depends on your used operating system:

https://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/windows-10/113/windows-10-set-path.html

Unfortunately the problem continues. In MacOS, when I type “env” in terminal, I do see the line

OWNCLOUD_CHUNKING_NG=0

But the behaviour doesn’t change: uploads for files of ~15 Mb or larger fail.
In the log I see many lines like the following:

||Documents/foo.pptx|INST_IGNORE|Up|1524759756||15491065||9|Server replied “406 Not Acceptable” to “PUT https://foo.com/cloud/remote.php/dav/uploads/foo/4091971421/00000000” (skipped due to earlier error, trying again in 3 hour(s))|0|0|0||||

for all of the larger files that cannot be uploaded.

Sorry, been busy. Yeah, Mac OS X chunking thing doesn’t work for the client.

In short, it’s still broke.

That’s a negative my friend…

# export OWNCLOUD_CHUNKING_NG=0

and then restarting the client didn’t do anything for the Mac OS X client.

Hey,

maybe some one needs to re-open the created bugreport posted previously?

hi i hv similar issue here on PC client, hv this issue been solved?

ownCloud server 10.3.1
ownCloud client 2.6.0 build 12703 for Mac OSX
Ubuntu 18.04.03

I too had the syncing problem until I set the OWNCLOUD_CHUNKING_NG=0 environment variable and restarted the client.

Does anyone have any idea why I need to do this? Is there any server/apache/php setting I can change to make the ownCloud client work correctly by default? I cannot ask my users to set environment variables.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

an ownCloud developer seems to have provided some background previously why this is needed on specific environments:

If i’m understanding this correctly the env.var variable is the only known workaround for such environments with this kind of restrictions / problems and which can’t handle the chunking requests done by ownCloud.