Files only to be viewed and not to be downloaded

Hi,

when I share files with my collegues is there a function that they can only view the files but not download them?

Hi Regina,

The feature you’re talking about is called ‘Secure View’, it is only available in ownCloud Enterprise.
More information about the feature can be found here
Information about the ownCloud Enterprise product can be found on the website.
If you’re interested in getting ownCloud Enterprise I’d recommend to get in touch with sales@owncloud.com.
Let me know should you have any further questions.
Cheers,
Erik

1 Like

Hi Erik,

Many thanks for your fast reply.

I guess, we did not book the “ownCloud Enterprise”, as I have not the option “View” when I share a file, see screenshot
below. Is that right?

With the “ownCloud Enterprise” is it possible to make a file “public” and then gain the option “view” or do I have to specify
the users or groups?

Cheers

Regina

Hi Regina,

Yes, you can make your files available publicly in OwnCloud Enterprise and you can also download the files as well. Every user/group will have access to download the files under OwnCloud Enterprise.

–
Terrance

What you are describing are two features, the first is called public sharing, where you can just provide a link to anybody, which will then be able to access the file on the website without having an account in ownCloud. And the other is internal sharing where you provide a file or folder to another user (or a group) who can login to ownCloud and will have to login in order to access that share.

ownCloud Enterprise has the same features as the Community Edition plus additional features like Secure View. I think you can also use public and internal sharing with the Secure View feature, internal sharing works for sure but I’m not sure about the public sharing.

Please be aware that Secure View only works with documents that are being displayed in Collabora, which is the backend for Secure View, so office documents, not for example jpg photos. In order to securely share a picture file, you would have to embed it into a office document first and then share the office document.

1 Like

Hi Erik,

Many thanks for your reply. This was very helpful
J!

I wish you a nice weekend!

Cheers

Regina

Hi Terrance,

many thanks for your reply
J

Cheers

Regina

I am surprised there is not Option in OwnCloud Community to just set a Document or Documents to View Only?

Then what is the Point in OwnCloud if you can only Download Only without the Option to set View Only. You can create a File Share Server for that.