How can I access my owncloud local files with another app?

Actual behaviour

• I can’t share the files stored in my owncloud with another app installed on my phone. For example, with any file manager.
  • I don’t know where my files are stored and I hate this behaviour !

Expected behaviour

• I wish I could easily open or edit an owncloud file with another app on my phone
  • It would be simple to copy my files from the owncloud storage to any place on my phone

Environment data

Android version: 12

Device model: Xiaomi RedNote 10

Stock or customized system:

ownCloud app version: 3.0.4

ownCloud server version: 10.11.0.6

It used to be possible, but the change to scoped storage put an end to that.

1 Like

Sad news !
With Nextcloud client, I know where my data is, it’s more easy to use and let me do what I want with my data on my phone.
Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Hi @pagreppo!
As mentioned in the previous reply, this is due to scoped storage, which was introduced in 2.19 (you can check more info about it here: ownCloud 2.19 for Android) and imposed by Google except for some few cases. This makes your data safer since no external apps can access directly to it, but it can always be accessed from the document provider.
You can still use apps like Files, which provides that document provider to be able to access your files and folders from your ownCloud account in a safe way.
Let us know if you have any other doubt, thanks! :beers:

3 Likes

Thank You Juanca.
The Files app is doing the job.
Before this, I’ve tried FX, X-plore and the integrated file manager Xiaomi provides, without success.
Thanks a lot, and please excuse my poor english.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.