How can I force the First Run Wizard popup to appear for a user upon login

ownCloud version: 9.1.3 (stable)

I have customized the ~/apps/firstrunwizard/templates/wizard.php with some new information, and for some users I want it to pop up the next time they log in.

Is there a way to make this happen?

Thanks

There is no such possibility included in ownCloud to force the firstrunwizard to appear again (only users can click on their own at their personal settings / area to "show first run wizard again").

However the state is probably hidden somewhere in the database. Maybe you can find that there and reset that option.

Great! Thanks!

For anyone else interested in doing this you can locate the important records in the DB with this query:

SELECT * FROM oc_preferences WHERE appid='firstrunwizard';

It will return a single record for each ownCloud user that controls whether or not the first run wizard is displayed on next login.

Just change configvalue from 0 to 1 to force it to be displayed the next time the user logs in.

3 Likes

No one has actually answered this question, so I'll do that here, assuming that you're running either MySQL, Percona, MariaDB, etc.

First, login as root or the user who has appropriate permissions for your database:

mysql -uroot -p

Then, switch to the database that your installation is using, like so:

use ownclouddb1

To force the first run wizard to display the next time any user user logs in, do the following:

update oc_preferences set configvalue='1' where appid='firstrunwizard';

To force the first run wizard to display the next time a particular user logs in, do the following:

update oc_preferences set configvalue='1' where userid='randy' and  appid='firstrunwizard';

In the examples above, the database is "ownclouddb1" and the individual user is "randy", merely adjust these values for your particular installation and you can cut and paste the above code to force the first run wizard to run the next time any user logs in, or a particular user logs in, respectively.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

To me it looks like it was answered as the post one above yours contains the same information about the database query. Could it be possible that there is another unanswered thread where this should have been posted instead?

The post you're refering to only shows a SELECT statement which would determine whether someone will see the wizard or not upon their next logon.

Although it explains what the difference in values of "0" and "1" are, it doesn't address how to actually solve the OP's question.

Ah, sorry. Missed the SELECT in the previous post. :confused:

But the solution was still there just the query was missing or do i miss something?

I think your post is still a great addition to the previously posted answer / solution. :+1: