How to add my QNAP TS-251+ media folder to Owncloud?

Hi guys, I am new to NAS, gone one recently (QNAP TS-251+) and installed owncloud app.

I have a lot of pictures on my NAS which is stored in an encrypted volume in my storage pool. I have created an owncloud account and purchased the iphone woncloud app as well.

The question is, how can I mount or add my media library folder to owncloud so that I can access the photos on my NAS across all my devices.

1 Like

I finally got it how to add my folder, but it shows the below error. No idea what does this mean and how to fix this.

Note: ā€œsmbclientā€ is not installed. Mounting of SMB / CIFS and SMB / CIFS using OC login is not possible. Please ask your system administrator to install it.

Hey,

maybe the following existing documentation is helping you?

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/admin_manual/installation/manual_installation.html#required-for-specific-apps

1 Like

Yes, I have gone through it, but still struggling.

I have successfully installed owncloud X. Iā€™ve created an owncloud account and itā€™s up and running. Now here is the thing which I am trying to crack;

I have a directory in my NAS which has all my photos and video files. I need to connect the folder to my owncloud X so that I can access all of it using my iphone owncloud app.

I have tried all possible ways, but couldnā€™t make it.

Hey,

maybe you can explain the issues youā€™re struggling in more details? I think with this few information it is nearly impossible to help as no one can guess which steps you already did, what issues youā€™re facing an similar. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I understandā€¦here are the detailsā€¦

I have a QNAP NAS TS251+ā€¦ now running on firmware 4.4.1

The NAS has been set up as RAID 1, and has a directory ā€˜Documentsā€™ which has all my media and documentsā€¦ I have purchased owncloud on my iphone, and I need all the documents on my NAS on my mobileā€¦especially media filesā€¦photos and videosā€¦

I have installed owncloud X on my NASā€¦ opened the app and created an owncloud accountā€¦

In the owncloud X account, I went to settingsā€¦ there are two main menuā€¦ ā€˜Personalā€™ and ā€˜Adminā€™ā€¦

Below the ā€˜Adminā€™, I have selected storageā€¦ where I need to select ā€˜Enable external storageā€™ā€¦

I have checked that box, and now I have options to add external storageā€¦ I have tried adding the NAS using owncloud, FTP, SFTP, SMB/CIFS and WebDavā€¦ I have tried giving the configuration credentials for each of them, and none was workingā€¦.

Either I am giving the credentials incorrectā€¦. Or is there something that I am missingā€¦?
For example, in the SFTP, I am not sure what is the Host and Root, or how to give themā€¦ I believe the username and password would be my NAS login credentialsā€¦

Please let me know if you need any more detailsā€¦

Like @tom42 said, there is a multitude of ways on how to connect an external storage with owncloud.
It depends on how youā€™ve made that folder accessible from your NAS. I would recommend to chose one way, for example SFTP and stick with it.

1. Go into your NAS settings and set up the share.
  2. Test that you can access the new share via SFTP with the tool of your choice. An easily understandable GUI tool available on all platforms would be Filezilla.
  3. Set up the external storage in ownCloud with the confirmed access credentials.

One more question: is your ownCloud instance running on the NAS itself or do you have it running on an extra server?

2 Likes

Thanks @eneubauer for the feedback.
I havenā€™t tried setting up sharing the folder on my NAS, I will do that.

That is a good point using filezilla to check the connection, I use filezilla at my workplace for transferring files between the local drive and server. So i am used to that process. I will check and let you guys know if thatā€™s working.

The owncloud is working on my NAS itself, I have downloaded Owncloud X from the QNAP app marketplace. When i click the app, it opens in a new browser window where I can login with my credentials.