How to get old apps (contacts, calendar)

Hi

Where do I download old apps (calendar and contacts) for Server version < 9. My problem is that I cannot upgrade my OS and PHP so I am stuck with Owncloud version 8.1.12. That is no problem because it’s running fine is used in an internal network only.

Yes I know that old version are no longer maintained but I am hoping that at least some archive or repo of prior releases is available.

Regards
Knut

If everything is running fine, I would backup the apps into zip or tar files, and keep them in a safe place.

Theoretically you could download old stuff from github, but without valid signatures (I assume).

1 Like

Sorry for my late response.
I had some issues with server version 7 so I’ve upgraded from 7 to 8 and now the apps calendar and contacts are missing. I’d like to reinstall them but found no repo for old apps. I’ve tried to install calendar from the archived work at https://github.com/owncloudarchive/calendar. Info there was “ownCloud 8.2 will be last version to ship this codebase.” so I thought being in luck. Unfortunately even that codebase requires server version 9 and I have no idea how to checkout older versions for calendar or contacts app.

Regards
Knut

You did this without a backup? I’m afraid you’re lost, at least for the apps.

My data are backuped and safe. I didn’t see any reason why I should backup the server itself with its apps.

The apps are gone because Owncloud distributed version 8 without calendar and contacts apps (as they are community apps). Many people went into this trap and had to install the apps afterwards. But now the apps seem to be not available anymore.

Thanks for your support
Knut

I just sent a PM with links to both apps from an old installation of ownCloud 8.1.12. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Well, I see a reason: Using a very old version, unsupported since long time ago. Then it’s IMHO my own responsibility, in order to keep the system in its state.

Peace!

1 Like

Great. You made my day. It’s working now again. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

I’ve managed to put myself in the exact same situation. Would you mind sharing these old apps with me as well? I just upgraded to 8.1.12 starting from 7.0.12=>7.0.15=>8.0.16=>8.1.12

All is backed up so really no panic… Would just be nice to not have to fiddle with phpmysql and reload the old db:s if able to level at 8.1.12.

Thanks in advance!
Mats

Sure, I just sent a PM with links to both apps from an old installation of ownCloud 8.1.12. Hope that helps.

If possible, I would recommend to upgrade further to a supported version of ownCloud though. For upgrading you don’t need the apps (Upgrade from OC7 to OC10).

1 Like

Thank you for the information! I managed since last post to download and install the latest stable apps from 8.1 baseline that resolved the urgent need without recovering anything from backup.

I especially appreciate your note on not needing the apps in the upgrade process. This triggers me to at next session go all the way and upgrade to OC10 in one sequence. That’ll be next weekend though :slight_smile:.

Our Owncloud instance has been evolving since first install as OC5 in spring 2013 and have given us great help managing the family of six and friends… calendars and contacts electronically on all devices ever since. However, with OC7 the calendar has been unstable and not synching properly. So, time to upgrade again - last time in 2015.

1 Like

The way the calendar data is stored in the database changed with ownCloud 9.0.
So, before upgrading, it might be a good idea to backup all existing calendars and addressbooks (e.g. with calcardbackup), in case you run into problems.

2 Likes

Hi There would it be possible to get a copy of the old apps for (contact , Calendar) i am also running an old version of owncloud 8.1

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Hey,

i don’t think that you are able to get such old versions of the apps these days. I think the time required to get these could be better invested in updating the underlying system operating system so that it is able to run more recent and supported versions of ownCloud.

1 Like