How to test if caching is properly configured and working?

I have started to administrate a running Owncloud server and the first what what i have seen was error message on admin page that caching is not configured. For project i have chosen following scheme from the official documentation. Small Organization, Single-server Setup - Use APCu for local caching, Redis for file locking.

Now the question. How can i see if caching is really working?
Here is my current path to data dir:
'datadirectory' => '/mnt/owncloud/data',
Will the default cache settings from config.php working with this custom path for owncloud data? Or maybe i need to add to my config.php something like:
'cache_path' => '/mnt/owncloud/data/$user',

Steps to reproduce
1. I have installed all necessary dependencies and packages (redis server, redis modul for php, APCu modul for php).
2. 'filelocking.enabled' => 'true',
'memcache.locking' => '\OC\Memcache\Redis',
'memcache.local' => '\OC\Memcache\APCu',
'redis' =>
array (
'host' => 'localhost',
'port' => 6379,
'timeout' => 0,
),

Expected behaviour
cache folders in /mnt/owncloud/data/$user should have some cached files.

Actual behaviour
The message about not configured caching on the admin page has disappeared, but cache folders in /mnt/owncloud/data/$user are empty. I don't have any error messages on my admin page.

Server configuration
Operating system: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Web server: apache2 2.4.7
Database: MySQL 5.53.5
PHP version: 5.5.9
ownCloud version (see ownCloud admin page): 9.0.4
Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install: updated, but i don't know from what version.

Redis and APCu are "in-memory" caches so stuff from them won't appear in your cache folder on disk. If the setup message in your admin backend is gone everything is working.

Thnx! And what kind of cache will be stored in /mnt/owncloud/data/$user?

No idea, just ignored it / don't add it to your config.php and everything is fine for a default environment.

Chunks of uploads are stored in $user/cache until upload is complete and original file is reassembled.

1 Like