I want to use an existing owncloud folder

Fresh install of Kubuntu 22.04. I tried the owncloud-client in the Ubuntu repo but it wouldn’t start so I downloaded the client ver. 2.10.1+oc-7389 from your website using the instructions at https://download.owncloud.com/desktop/ownCloud/stable/latest/linux/download/. I already have an owncloud folder on this computer that I’d like to keep. When going through the software setup, it detected the fact that the folder I wanted was named “owncloud” and it refused to use it, insisting I choose a different folder. I could always delete it and download everything from the server again (or just rename it and rename it again later) but that is not the preferred route. The version of owncloud that comes from the Ubuntu repo for ver. 22.04 does not have this restriction. Please remove it so that we can use our existing data folder.

Expected behaviour

Tell us what should happen

Owncloud should sync whatever folder I specify, even if it’s an existing owncloud folder. This is going to be the case for OS reinstalls.

Actual behaviour

Tell us what happens instead

Owncloud refuses to use the existing folder when choosing it in the client setup.

Steps to reproduce

1. Install Ubuntu 22.04 in a new partition.
  2. Install owncloud-client from owncloud’s repo since the one in the Ubuntu repo is broken.
  3. While going through the setup process, choose the existing owncloud data folder that I already have in a different partition. The client refuses, saying the folder already exists. Yes, I know, and that’s the folder I want to use.

Server configuration

Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04

Web server: Apache

Database: mySQL

PHP version: unknown at the moment and not relevant for this client software issue

ownCloud version: 10.10

Storage backend (external storage): I do not understand this question.

Client configuration

Client version: 2.10.1+oc-7389

Operating system: Ubuntu 22.04

OS language: English

Qt version used by client package (Linux only, see also Settings dialog): 5.15.3

Client package (From ownCloud or distro) (Linux only): ?

Installation path of client: unknown

Logs

Please use Gist (https://gist.github.com/) or a similar code paster for longer
logs.

Template for output < 10 lines

1. Client logfile: Output of owncloud --logwindow or owncloud --logfile log.txt
    (On Windows using cmd.exe, you might need to first cd into the ownCloud directory)
    (See also Redirect Notice )

2. Web server error log:

3. Server logfile: ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log):

You need to make sure you move the ownCloud configuration directory as well, not just the sync root directory. Otherwise, the desktop client cannot reuse the existing directory easily.

If you no longer have the config, please see Desktop Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :: ownCloud Documentation.

Thank you. Deleting the hidden files in the sync folder did the job.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.