Integrity Check due to "New User" Email Template Changes

Steps to reproduce

1. Login as admin

Expected behaviour

Warning should not appear

Actual behaviour

Code integrity check failure warning appears. The reason is that I have edited the new user email template file. I am happy with my edits, so I don’t want the integrity check warnings to appear.

Server configuration

Don’t believe this is really relevant. Correct me if I am wrong.

ownCloud version: (see ownCloud admin page)

Updated from an older ownCloud or fresh install:
Updated I think

Where did you install ownCloud from:
Downloaded tarball

Signing status (ownCloud 9.0 and above):
?

Login as admin user into your ownCloud and access 
http://example.com/index.php/settings/integrity/failed 
paste the results into https://gist.github.com/ and puth the link here.

The content of config/config.php:

'admin' -> 'Generate Config Report' -> 'Download ownCloud config report'
This report includes the config.php settings, the list of activated apps
and other details in a well sanitized form.

or 

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ config:list system
from within your ownCloud installation folder

*ATTENTION:* Do not post your config.php file in public as is. Please use one of the above
methods whenever possible. Both, the generated reports from the web-ui and from occ config:list
consistently remove sensitive data. You still may want to review the report before sending.
If done manually then it is critical for your own privacy to dilligently
remove *all* host names, passwords, usernames, salts and other credentials before posting.
You should assume that attackers find such information and will use them against your systems.

List of activated apps:

If you have access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ app:list
from within your ownCloud installation folder.

Are you using external storage, if yes which one: local/smb/sftp/…

Are you using encryption: yes/no

Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: LDAP/ActiveDirectory/Webdav/…

LDAP configuration (delete this part if not used)

With access to your command line run e.g.:
sudo -u www-data php occ ldap:show-config
from within your ownCloud installation folder

Without access to your command line download the data/owncloud.db to your local
computer or access your SQL server remotely and run the select query:
SELECT * FROM `oc_appconfig` WHERE `appid` = 'user_ldap';

Eventually replace sensitive data as the name/IP-address of your LDAP server or groups.

Client configuration

Browser:

Operating system:

Logs

Web server error log

Insert your webserver log here

ownCloud log (data/owncloud.log)

Insert your ownCloud log here

Browser log

Insert your browser log here, this could for example include:

a) The javascript console log
b) The network log 
c) ...

Hi carlnielsen,

Editing email templates in the ownCloud installation directory directly is not the recommended way to implement custom templates. You would probably lose your changes when upgrading ownCloud. I agree, the documentation is not very verbose about this.

Instead create a custom theme - there is an example theme at https://github.com/owncloud/theme-example/ and create your custom templates there. The directory structure in the theme must reflect the one from the ownCloud folder. An overview of existing templates is found here: Using Email Templates
If you do not require custom wording/styles in your theme you may delete defaults.php and the directories core/css and core/img.

There is even an app to edit email templates in the Admin Settings: templateeditor if this is an easier way for you. Using this app you would not have to create the template files by hand, you can enter the desired texts into text areas.

So, when upgrading ownCloud you only transfer your theme to the new installation and integrity checks will never be an issue.

Let us know, if you run into difficulties while creating your theme, we can sure help out, if this is the case.

2 Likes

Thanks yes I am aware of the fact that the files get over-written each time (that’s why I keep a backup to replace them). And I’m aware that one is supposed to introduce a theme to be able to edit the templates “properly”. I tried to install the example theme a few years ago, and it did not run smoothly resulting in some sort of integrity error (I can’t remember exactly but it seemed to mean I was taking a skedgehammer to a problem that needed a tack hammer and caused more damage than the problems it solved). It seems I will just have to live with the integrity check warning complaint on my admin login on the site.

1 Like

I’d suggest to give the theme-example another try. It is not complicated at all and the documentation on the first page had improved, e.g. discussing how to except your custom theme from the integrity check.

I’m ready to assist, if there are questions.

1 Like

Okay thanks. Seem to have managed to install the custom theme. Now to work out how to get rid of the changes I don’t want. I will quite possible PM you, cortho. Thanks

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.