Internal Server Error after Upgrading from 8.2.7.1

9.0.x
help

#1

After Upgrading to the latest Owncloud 9 it does not work anymore.

I have owncloud installed on http://domain.com directly (not /owncloud).

I read about that problems but nothing of the solution worked for me...
I had some apps that were automatically deactivated while Upgrading.. I also have a custom theme.

Please Help!!!


#2

Please fill out the issue template shown when creating a new thread instead of just deleting it. Furthermore see:

Without all that infos its nearly impossible to help here.


#3

It's not a 500 Internal Server Error with blank page. It is the interneal server error generated by owncloud.

Yes I tried to edit with the template but it does not show up... I'm very sorry.


#4

You still need to provide the matching error from your logfiles to this internal server error. Without it we can close this issue as unsolvable.


#5

It just got the problem.
I did not know where the log file was... Now I saw there was a problem with an app "external"

Now it works!!!

Thanks a lot for this tip!!!!