Latest official docker image crashes

Hi,

I’m using OwnCloud server for years now. Two years ago I migrated to docker. I’m using Watchtower to update the containers with new images every week. Last night it updated OwnCloud to the official :latest image (that was updated on Docker hub two days ago). Sadly it crashes on startup with the following message:

Creating volume folders...
Creating hook folders...
Waiting for MySQL...
services are ready!
Waiting for Redis...
services are ready!
Writing config file...
Fixing base perms...
Fixing data perms...
Fixing hook perms...
/usr/bin/occ: line 16:    61 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) setpriv --reuid=www-data --regid=www-data --init-groups php /var/www/owncloud/occ "$@"
Upgrading server database...
/usr/bin/occ: line 16:    68 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) setpriv --reuid=www-data --regid=www-data --init-groups php /var/www/owncloud/occ "$@"

The database didn’t update, so that shouldn’t be the problem I guess. Same with Redis.
I see that the hashes of the :latest image are the same as the :10.12 image. So I went back to the :10.1 image (was updated two days ago), but that had the same problem.
When I tried to go back to 10.12.1 (updated 3 months ago) I got an error saying that downgrading isn’t possible. And going back to 10.12.2-rc.1 was also not a possibility.

It there an issue in the docker image? Or do I need to change anything? Any ideas or tips?

Help is appreciated, right now I can’t sync my files (I can live with that for a while), but also can’t reach my calendars (which is a problem for me).

Hi, i can confirm this issue on my server as well:

docker run -it owncloud/server:10.12.2@sha256:c62d824e1f70ef5262f68275e98c33f26978e2ae44f24da8d171ede18c1a65e2 occ -V
/usr/bin/occ: line 16:    15 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) setpriv --reuid=www-data --regid=www-data --init-groups php /var/www/owncloud/occ "$@"

journalctl -e reports:

Aug 19 05:48:30 myserver kernel: traps: php[31358] trap invalid opcode ip:7f6978b19eed sp:7ffe2acbc220 error:0 in libMagickCore-7.Q16HDRI.so.10.0.1[7f69788e5000+284000]

When i run an older version, everything works as expected:

docker run -it owncloud/server:10.12.1@sha256:d9fe8fa11695d597f3de6a70e8d88529944b7e9077800c8d728f46859aaa3e22 occ -V
ownCloud is not installed - only a limited number of commands are available
ownCloud 10.12.1

(the container runs normally as well)

My theory is:

a few days ago, owncloud-docker/php/pull/131 was merged. This is introducing heic support (which i am looking forward to a lot by the way).
The new imagic 7 library is now freshly compiled in the docker build (instead of using the old ubuntu package as before) see: owncloud-docker/php/pull/131/files#diff-7bfcb8bd1ee62b4f198ae107d0f3bf9210ab9c3db14731f95957c7aa9af0e816R49

the imei.sh script is using the compiler arguments -march=native (see: SoftCreatR/imei/blob/main/imei.sh#L149) which is a good idea if you compile for your own hardware, but if you need to redistribute the built library (in a docker image) for other people with other CPUs to run on, this is problematic.

I think the docker image is built on relatively new CPUs and you and me have older CPUs. Our older CPUs cannot understand the new code shipped in the latest owncloud/server docker image.

Unfortunately, i do not know what the sha256 digest of the previous build was. (i whiped my server).
Does anyone have a x86 64-bit system with an older CPU where you can run the following listing?

docker images --digests

So i have owncloud/server:10.12.2@sha256:c62d824e1f70ef5262f68275e98c33f26978e2ae44f24da8d171ede18c1a65e2, which i know is not working on my CPU. Maybe someone has not updated yet, and has an older CPU as well. (so you have owncloud/server:10.12.1 but a different digest)

my lscpu is:

lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  4
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU  N3700  @ 1.60GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               76
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    Core(s) per socket:  4
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            3
    CPU max MHz:         2400,0000
    CPU min MHz:         480,0000
    BogoMIPS:            3200.00
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
                          xtopology tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rd
                         rand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb pti ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm ida arat md_clear
Virtualization features:
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):
  L1d:                   96 KiB (4 instances)
  L1i:                   128 KiB (4 instances)
  L2:                    2 MiB (2 instances)
NUMA:
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
Vulnerabilities:
  Itlb multihit:         Not affected
  L1tf:                  Not affected
  Mds:                   Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
  Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
  Mmio stale data:       Unknown: No mitigations
  Retbleed:              Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Not affected
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Retpolines, IBPB conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP disabled, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
  Srbds:                 Not affected
  Tsx async abort:       Not affected

I would like to create an issue in the owncloud-docker/php project, if that is ok for the moderators (i do not know how things run in this community)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Glad to see that it’s not just on my server.

I started to create an issue on GitHub, but read the the guidelines that stated to post here first. So I support the request for an issue :slight_smile:

I’m running Docker on a Synology NAS, so that is probably an older CPU.

You could try to downgrade to owncloud/server:10.12.1@sha256:d9fe8fa11695d597f3de6a70e8d88529944b7e9077800c8d728f46859aaa3e22. Maybe that works for you.

Hi,

Tried that, but it gives the error:
Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 10.12.2.1 to 10.12.1.3)

Since I use OwnCloud for a production environment, I’m not sure if it sensible to try to downgrade here.

Thanks for reporting this. I’ve created Install ImageMagick-7 and an updated php-wrapper for IM7 · Issue #46 · owncloud-docker/php · GitHub to track this issue.

2 Likes

Same issue here. Old CPU and same error message after upgrading. No easy downgrade option seems possible. Thanks for flagging and addressing!

Creating volume folders...
Creating hook folders...
Waiting for MySQL...
services are ready!
Waiting for Redis...
services are ready!
Writing config file...
Fixing base perms...
Fixing data perms...
Fixing hook perms...
/usr/bin/occ: line 16:    57 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) setpriv --reuid=www-data --regid=www-data --init-groups php /var/www/owncloud/occ "$@"
Upgrading server database...
/usr/bin/occ: line 16:    64 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) setpriv --reuid=www-data --regid=www-data --init-groups php /var/www/owncloud/occ "$@"
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  2
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0,1
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               60
    Thread(s) per core:  1
    Core(s) per socket:  2
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            3
    CPU max MHz:         3200.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            6399.46
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm cons
                         tant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg cx16 xtpr
                         pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer xsave rdrand lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flex
                         priority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust erms invpcid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
Virtualization features:
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):
  L1d:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
  L1i:                   64 KiB (2 instances)
  L2:                    512 KiB (2 instances)
  L3:                    3 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0,1
Vulnerabilities:
  Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
  L1tf:                  Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled
  Mds:                   Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT disabled
  Meltdown:              Mitigation; PTI
  Mmio stale data:       Unknown: No mitigations
  Retbleed:              Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Retpolines, IBPB conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP disabled, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected
  Srbds:                 Mitigation; Microcode
  Tsx async abort:       Not affected
1 Like

I have the same issue. I’m also using a quite old cpu. I had issues in redeploying the 10.11. So switching back to the 10.11 was not possible for me. But I had luck so I was still able to stick to the 10.12.1. Now everything is up and running again but I feel really uncomfortable.

processor	: 7
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 58
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770T CPU @ 2.50GHz
stepping	: 9
microcode	: 0x21
cpu MHz		: 1600.000
cache size	: 8192 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 8
core id		: 3
cpu cores	: 4
apicid		: 7
initial apicid	: 7
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cpuid_fault epb pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
vmx flags	: vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestricted_guest
bugs		: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs itlb_multihit srbds mmio_unknown
bogomips	: 5001.05
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

@robert-franz

Glad that you got it working again! Would it be possible to share the hash of the 10.12.1 image that you’ve got running? You can find it using

docker images --digests

With the hash I can try to download that specific image an try to get OwnCloud running again, until the fix is ready.

1 Like

@divisionb0
The hash of the image I’m currently using is:
sha256:d9fe8fa11695d597f3de6a70e8d88529944b7e9077800c8d728f46859aaa3e22

1 Like

Thanks. I wasn’t reading the version correctly. Was hoping this was a possible downgrade path for me, but already tried this specific image.

Whohooo!! A new image was publishes on the Docker Hub. That fixed the problem!!!

Thank you for fixing this quickly!

2 Likes

All 10.11 and 10.12 images were autmatically rebuilt with beta testing code. And re-released.
Sorry for causing so much havoc.

Saturday evening, I exploited this (scary) mechanism, to re-release them all with a fix.

For anybody, who is still stuck with a broken docker image, please try an explicit
docker pull owncloud/server:10.12.2 (or whatever your exact version number is).

Next task: get ready for 10.13.0

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.