LDAP, Host, DNS, clarifications

Hello All,

Im new to use owncloud and not much familiar with some technicality, like LDAP, DNS, Host, probably silly questions, but i would appreciate if you will help me to better understand.

Introduction:
I running owncloud on Virtualbox using the UCS appliance Univention, debian. Works fine in the local network using the IP address.
Tried to secure it to use HTTPS.

Questions:

1. Instead of using the IP address, how can i access to the owncloud? I tried host name, LDAP, port, but does not work. How is it used the LDAP port?
  2. When i tried to use HTTPS by redirect HTTP changing config file in debian, in the browser still show me unsecure connection. Is because the certificate im using is signed only by me? how can i check if the connection is now using HTTPS correctly? how can remove the warning on the browser?
  3. when i access from the internet using my ISP IP address it works fine, but how can i use the server name instead of the IP?
  4. Im not clear with DNS and LDAP. If i want the internet browser to resolve the address over the internet to reach the owncloud IP address, how can this be done? what service do i need to use?

Welcome to ownCloud Central.

Your questions, while relevant to your goal of accessing your ownCloud instance, don’t really pertain to ownCloud itself. They are general network and server administration topics. This is not the right place to expect answers to those inquiries. You may want to try the following resources. The first link should help you understand DNS. The next is a more suitable place for discussing the UCS appliance.

Cloudflare Learning
What is DNS? | How DNS works

1 Like

Thank you for your quick answer. I understood what you are saying, but isnt also a bit on interest of owncloud to ensure that the users are put in a condition to proficiently use all the resources owncloud offer? by instructing users (same as me limited in knowledge) how to use it when requires interface with outer system it will help users to stay and not look for other alternatives.
Beside that im using the UCS built found and downloaded from owncloud website, so indirectly my question are part of the owncloud functionality. The screenshot posted is from owncloud settings, which im having trouble to use.

The target audience of ownCloud is seasoned Linux system administrators. From your questions, it is apparent that you lack the requisite fundamentals for someone here to be able to give you all of the guidance that you need without a substantial commitment on their part. All of us started from zero knowledge, so don’t mistake my assessment of your current expertise for a disparagement of your capabilities.

You are going to need a domain along with public authoritative DNS servers. You are going to need to know the difference between a public and a private IP and how to forward traffic from one to the other. You will need to know how to obtain your public IP, so that you can update your DNS. You are going to need to understand how to obtain and install valid certificates. There are options available, such as Let’s Encrypt, that can help make getting trusted certificates easier. You will also need to understand and run either split DNS or hairpin NAT to ensure that you are able to access your UCS securely by name locally.

As you can see there is a fair amount of missing underlying knowledge that you need to backfill.

Let’s examine some of your questions.

Yes.

Use a publicly trusted certificate.

If you can already access your owncloud over HTTPS from the public internet by IP, you really just need to create an A record for your owncloud host in your domain’s public DNS. That will let you get publicly trusted certificates, too.

That was actually the first thing that I noticed in your post.

I haven’t yet figured out why you included that screenshot. LDAP has nothing to do with your question about how to set up secure access using a DNS based hostname.

DNS. There was a reason a linked to an explainer on the subject in my previous reply.

That is all the more reason to use the Univention forum, since they are the ones who support UCS, not ownCloud.

I do hope that you are able to work out your networking and sysadmin challenges.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.